New Discussion юеВ

ProLiant ML 570 G3 power up issues

SOLVED
Go to solution
iulian_dbc
Occasional Visitor

ProLiant ML 570 G3 power up issues

Hi,

I have a ML 570 G3 with 4 Xeon cores, full redundant PSU, 12GB RAM. I got it as a refurbished unit and it worked well until yesterday when it started acting very strange. It powered down by it's own ( Front panel power led AMBER) no red fault led. Both PSU have green led flashing meaning PSU on standby. If I remove both power cords and leave the unit for few minutes, when I plug in the cords it will try to power up, spin the fans and then stop again to standby. No internal faults are shown on the 2 digit display. Sometimes the server powers up for a few minutes or even half an hour but then it simply goes back to standby without any obvious fault.

Tried removing all addon cards ( 2 SCSI 6400) and additional memory boards and leave only CPU1 and PPM but no success. Both PSU's appear to be in good condition and the server worked fine for the last 2 years. No signs of swollen or broken caps, cables look OK, removed all components up to SCSI boards, backplane power card, front panel, everything seems to be OK. Tried to reset NVRAM, clear all config, nothing. Server keeps acting strange. Can someone point me to the right direction? It is a backup machine so it is not critical( yet) but I would like to have it up and running.

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
Suman_1978
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: ProLiant ML 570 G3 power up issues

Hi,

I see that you have tried most troubleshooting steps.

Have you tried to swap the power supplies from a different server if you have.

If there is no fault led and if PSU simply goes to standby, I suspect its either PSU or the PSU Backplane.

From the below link, see Figure 2, part 9.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00318191

Thank You!

For product specific Guided Troubleshooting visit; http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Click here to know, How to use HP Guided Troubleshooting?

I am a HP employee

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

iulian_dbc
Occasional Visitor

Hi and thank you for your reply. I suspected the PSU backplane since the behaviour is consistent to some other issues i have seen on other machines. I will try to find a spare part and order it. if it fixes the issue i will post back as a solution.

Again thank you,

J

iulian_dbc
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

As suspected the power backplane was the issue with the server. Replaced with a good working part and now the server is up and running again. Thank you for all your support,

J