ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753851 Members
8482 Online
108808 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProLiant ML110 G6 & 2 TB HD's

RPotter_1

ProLiant ML110 G6 & 2 TB HD's

I purchased an ML 110 G6 after HP told my vendor that they officially supported 2 TB HD's. I then purchased two seagate enterprise 2 TB HD's and during install (Raid 1) I have been unable to mark a partition as boot-able. I have even lowered the partition size thinking it needed to be closer to 1 TB but it will not work. I have even used an install disk (Ubuntu Linux) from a previous successful install (using 4 1 TB HD's).

I have even moved the 2 TB HD to the machine that worked (with 1 TB HD's) and still nothing will work.

My thinking now is that the server is not truly recognizing the 2 TB HD's even though it identifies the HD size. None of the Bios updates actually address this issue so not sure what to do.

Has anyone else experienced this or now how to deal with this?
4 REPLIES 4
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Did you upgrade the firmware on the server, controller and drives. Which RAID controller? Does it support TB drives?
RPotter_1

It's just the built in SATA controller. I am not trying to use hardware RAID, but software. The original server supported 1 TB drives just fine.

I have not yet upgraded the Firmware/Bios because nothing indicates it addresses 2 TB HD's so I don't want to do a needless flash. That's why I am poking around in the forums first to see if this has worked for anyone else.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

HP does sell 2 TB drives for this server, so 2 TB drives are supported. When you say none of the BIOS updates address this issue does that mean you actually upgraded it or did you not see anything in the release notes which indicates it fixes the problem. HP does not always fully document every fix or enhancement in all BIOS releases, so if you have not updated the BIOS I would recommend doing it.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

use hardware RAID, it rebuilds easier than software. Hardware RAID will configure 2TB easier.