ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751959 Members
4612 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ProLiant ML110 G7 not possible to install Windows 2003 x64?

Christian-GT

ProLiant ML110 G7 not possible to install Windows 2003 x64?

Hello, I have to prepare a new server. Unfortunately we only have Windows2003 as OS. I wait for 2008R2, but my collegues from central IT don't have it at the moment. OK I have a ProLiant ML110 G7. With the smart start CD I only can prepare a Windows 2008 server. If I boot with a Windows 2003 setup CD I allways get a bluescren after loading all the drivers at the beginning. I have no idea how I can get windows 2003 running on this machine. can someone help me in this? thanks, christian.

25 REPLIES 25
bigred6695
Occasional Visitor

What is the blue screen stop code?

Abhishek Bangalore
Frequent Advisor

Hello ,

In order to resolve the issue please perform the steps provided below:

Try installing the OS directly with out the smart start disk.

If, the issue persists please disable the hyper threading in the BIOS and then check for the result.

Also please provide me the exact error message you are getting.

Regards

Abhishek

Help other's for Better Tomorrow

I am an HP Employee
hndcb
Occasional Advisor

I didn't do a fresh installation of windows 2003, but I move a windows 2003 OS hard drive from another server to ML110 G7, yes, it works , with SATA controller as legacy support which is default . After the 2003 boot up , I installed The HP ProLiant Support Packs (PSP) from the smartstart cd ( run the autorun program ), it include different kinds of drivers for windows 2003( supprisingly the 1GbE NC112i network card's driver is not there ).  

The ML110 G7's support page don't have driver for windows 2003, but the smart start CD can let you create windows 2003 driver diskette ( boot up from smartstart cd, "software" -> " Create Driver diskettes" -> " Create windows 2003 driver diskette", floppy diskette is needed, or use dos command "subst" to simulate a fake A drive ) . Have you ever try this diskette when you installed your 2003 ?

SiRoS9
Occasional Advisor

I'm having the same issues and have tried the solution posted but I'm running Win 2K3 R2 x64.  Once I create the A drive and point the Install Wizard to it, it does not work.  Are there drivers specifically for this version (Win 2003 R2 x64). 

thanks

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

According to the Windows server certification and support matrices, Server 2003 is not supported on that system

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/windows/index.html

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
JL77
Regular Visitor

Does this mean Windows 2003 Server will not run on an ML110G7 machine?

I thought it would at least install since it was available in the Start Smart CD version 8.7b

I am in the same situation.  I have to install Windows 2003 Server x86 on a ML110 G7.

I have three of these machines.  It installed fine on one of them but the other two don't seem to want to play nice.

Any follow up on this would be greatly appreciated!

We have to use Windows 2003 Server due to compatability of other software we have to use.

Cheers

JL77
Regular Visitor

Well not sure how they did it but the boys in the IT department were able to install Windows 2003 Server.

Let's just hope the servers don't die anytime soon.

TheApprenticeCo
Occasional Visitor

Hey JL77

may your mates have found the solution and share it to the rest of the world?

Thanks

Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor

I dont think you would be able to install 2003, though their are workaround which Im not sure but some of them have managed to install but some of the servers failed to install with the same steps. HP has not provided drivers as by the time ML110 G7 was released Microsoft stopped providing licensces or certifying products for Server 2003 , it will be the same in case of Gen8 servers as well, no Gen8 server will support 2003 server as MS has stopped licensing 2003 or certifying a server for 2003 that means no drivers from the vendors

Was the post useful? Say thanks by clicking the white KUDOS Star!
Goutham Sabala