ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProLiant ML110 G7 not possible to install Windows 2003 x64?

Christian-GT
Occasional Visitor

ProLiant ML110 G7 not possible to install Windows 2003 x64?

Hello, I have to prepare a new server. Unfortunately we only have Windows2003 as OS. I wait for 2008R2, but my collegues from central IT don't have it at the moment. OK I have a ProLiant ML110 G7. With the smart start CD I only can prepare a Windows 2008 server. If I boot with a Windows 2003 setup CD I allways get a bluescren after loading all the drivers at the beginning. I have no idea how I can get windows 2003 running on this machine. can someone help me in this? thanks, christian.

25 REPLIES
bigred6695
Occasional Visitor

Re: ProLiant ML110 G7 not possible to install Windows 2003 x64?

What is the blue screen stop code?

Abhishek Bangalore
Frequent Advisor

Hello ,

In order to resolve the issue please perform the steps provided below:

Try installing the OS directly with out the smart start disk.

If, the issue persists please disable the hyper threading in the BIOS and then check for the result.

Also please provide me the exact error message you are getting.

Regards

Abhishek

Help other's for Better Tomorrow

I am an HP Employee
hndcb
Occasional Advisor

I didn't do a fresh installation of windows 2003, but I move a windows 2003 OS hard drive from another server to ML110 G7, yes, it works , with SATA controller as legacy support which is default . After the 2003 boot up , I installed The HP ProLiant Support Packs (PSP) from the smartstart cd ( run the autorun program ), it include different kinds of drivers for windows 2003( supprisingly the 1GbE NC112i network card's driver is not there ).  

The ML110 G7's support page don't have driver for windows 2003, but the smart start CD can let you create windows 2003 driver diskette ( boot up from smartstart cd, "software" -> " Create Driver diskettes" -> " Create windows 2003 driver diskette", floppy diskette is needed, or use dos command "subst" to simulate a fake A drive ) . Have you ever try this diskette when you installed your 2003 ?

SiRoS9
Occasional Advisor

I'm having the same issues and have tried the solution posted but I'm running Win 2K3 R2 x64.  Once I create the A drive and point the Install Wizard to it, it does not work.  Are there drivers specifically for this version (Win 2003 R2 x64). 

thanks

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

According to the Windows server certification and support matrices, Server 2003 is not supported on that system

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/windows/index.html

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
JL77
Regular Visitor

Does this mean Windows 2003 Server will not run on an ML110G7 machine?

I thought it would at least install since it was available in the Start Smart CD version 8.7b

I am in the same situation.  I have to install Windows 2003 Server x86 on a ML110 G7.

I have three of these machines.  It installed fine on one of them but the other two don't seem to want to play nice.

Any follow up on this would be greatly appreciated!

We have to use Windows 2003 Server due to compatability of other software we have to use.

Cheers

JL77
Regular Visitor

Well not sure how they did it but the boys in the IT department were able to install Windows 2003 Server.

Let's just hope the servers don't die anytime soon.

TheApprenticeCo
Occasional Visitor

Hey JL77

may your mates have found the solution and share it to the rest of the world?

Thanks

Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor

I dont think you would be able to install 2003, though their are workaround which Im not sure but some of them have managed to install but some of the servers failed to install with the same steps. HP has not provided drivers as by the time ML110 G7 was released Microsoft stopped providing licensces or certifying products for Server 2003 , it will be the same in case of Gen8 servers as well, no Gen8 server will support 2003 server as MS has stopped licensing 2003 or certifying a server for 2003 that means no drivers from the vendors

Was the post useful? Say thanks by clicking the white KUDOS Star!
Goutham Sabala
GiladHinberger
Occasional Visitor

Download the driver directly from Intel - works great :)

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/detail_desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18719

Gilad

Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor

Hi 

The link seems to be for network driver, How did you manage to get the server on windows 2003 ? Can you please share the solution ?

Was the post useful? Say thanks by clicking the white KUDOS Star!
Goutham Sabala
moondmascot
Occasional Visitor

Hey,

JL77 & other user of ProLiant ML110 G7 user.

Windows 2003 Server Enterprise edition 32/64 Bit both will run on ML 110 G7 server. But u have to install it without the deployment kit.

here u will face a small problem that z d eathernet cadr driver. Hope JL77 & ohter user can reach up to this position, then i wil tel u d eathernet card driver solution.

see u soon.

SiRoS9
Occasional Advisor

Has anyone figured out how to accomplish this?  

It is possible to do it, we currently have 2 HP ML110 G7 running Win2k3 R2 64 bit on them.  As soon as I can figure out how that was possible I will repost here, so check back...

alphasalms
Occasional Visitor

We recently bought ProLiant ML110 G7 with the aim of installing windows server 2003 on it. When installing this OS (win server 2003), when it gets to the point where you you have the options; "CONTINUE =Enter, REPAIRE=R, F3=Quit, the keyboard's NUM Lock key lights goes off and the keyboard will no longer response.

Pls can anyone help me out, to solve this problem.

SiRoS9
Occasional Advisor

Alphasalms

Have you tried swapping the keyboard?  It also sounds like the usb port gets turned off or disabled,

perhaps you should also consider plugging the keyboard on other usb ports and try again.  Let us know..

SiRoS9
Occasional Advisor

This server will allow the instalment of Win2k3 R2 (or any other 2k3 version for that matter) but it will not allow it to be installed if SATA Controllers and RAID have been configured in the BIOS..

Here's how it worked for me:

HP ProLiant ML110 G7

Windows 2003 R2 64 bit

2 - 250 GB HDD (need to mirror them (RAID 1))

1 - Undo the SATA Controllers at the BIOS (default)

2 - Install the OS

3 - Configure the drives for mirroring via Disk Management  [http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323432]

PushpendraPuri
Occasional Visitor

I also came across the same problem while installing windows server 2003. If you secceed, kindly let me know.

SiRoS9
Occasional Advisor

so, did you get it to work?
SiRoS9
Occasional Advisor

apparently the server does not support the installation of 2003. Did you try installing the 2003 OS with the SATA RAID configured in the RBSU (BIOS)?
If so, 1. re-start the server and go into BIOS and undo the RAID, set it back to default settings.
2. Proceed to install 2003 OS (it should work normally without RAID set)
3. Once installed go to Start>right-click Computer>Manage>Disk Management.
4. Follow the instructions on the following link to configure RAID (Mirroring); [http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323432]

Post back, let us know if it worked for you.
Jeffrey D Chard
Frequent Advisor

I have Server 2003 running on a ML110G7 in Hyper V as a virtual machine.

Whist I am running Hyper V under Server 2008R2, the core 2008 Hyper V is a free down load (but make sure it comes installed with SP1, as Hyper V without SP1 is not compatible with AVX capable CPU's without disabling AVX).

polarized
Occasional Visitor

I installed Win 2k3 R2 successfully. One obstacle is letting windows see the hard drive properly.

Press F9 on booting to get in Setup(BIOS),

Select Advanced Options > SATA Controller Options > Embedded SATA Configuration >

Ensure 'Enable SATA Legacy Support' is selected.

After the install completes you would probably need to update the controller drivers in device manager, like a few SATA hp laptops Iinstalled XP on.

Zihan
Occasional Visitor

Thax Gillad

Hey Gillad,

Thax for that post works like a Charm....  You made my day... Thax budy....

Take Care 

Ziha - from Sri Lanka

zihan@amanaglobal.com

Rudy190583
Occasional Visitor

Re: Thax Gillad

Hi All,

I've got same problem too.
it solved, install Windows 2003 R2 Standard x64 on Proliant ML110 G7

download SATA RAID on this link:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=3958193&swItem=MTX-1f10137c22644c0e9ab08b013b&prodNameId=3958194&swEnvOID=4064&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=0

inject the driver with 3rd party tool (nLite) on Windows 2003 R2 x64 installer CD, burn the ISO and try to direct install on the server.. :)

(sorry my bad english)

Rudy.
JL77
Regular Visitor

I find it extremely annoying and somewhat amusing that I...

I find it extremely annoying and somewhat amusing that I find myself back on this page.

Today I had to re-install the OS on my ML110 G7.

Yes I able to re-install Windows 2003 R2 Standard Edition x86 following the instructions here.

1) Need to enable SATA legacy support as mentioned in previous posts in this thread

2) Need to reinstall the Intel NIC drivers as mentioned in previous posts in this thread.

I am just adding my post to confirm that this is possible.

It did however take an extra 3 days since I was struggling to solve the dreaded RED SCREEN OF DEATH  Illegal Opcode!!!

This was solved by updating the BIOS to the latest version.  I think it is Dec 04 2012 

If anyone else out there has to do this take heart it is possible.

Cheers