ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProLiant ML310 G1 "CPU 1 pre-failure or failure" LED is on...

Andy Bender
Advisor

ProLiant ML310 G1 "CPU 1 pre-failure or failure" LED is on...

Howdy, y'all; firstly, happy New Year.

As I've been looking for and preparing disks for the onboard ATA RAID controller, this ProLiant ML310 G1 server has been mostly sitting idle.

Coupla days ago, I attempted to restart it, and it wouldn't boot. The "CPU 1 pre-failure or failure" system health LED, near the CPU socket, was on. I've seen this problem before when CPU sockets became infiltrated with dust, so removed the heat sink, the CPU, and thoroughly vacuumed everything. After reinstallation of the CPU and heat sink, no improvement.

Just in case the CPU WAS defective, I removed it and installed it in another identical ML310 G1. Booted correctly to Win2K3 Server. I installed the CPU from the known good board in the failed server, and it also wouldn't start.

I even tried a 1.5GHz Pentium 4 from one of our desktop systems and it also didn't boot in the problematic ML310.

What could be causing the problem? Is the motherboard kaput?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

APJ
The OC, SoCal, USA.
2 REPLIES
Andy Bender
Advisor

Re: ProLiant ML310 G1 "CPU 1 pre-failure or failure" LED is on...

Problem solved, after several aggravating hours of trial-and-error (mostly, error) debugging.

Decided to try a bare motherboard boot after
disconnection of all PCI adapter cards, DIMMs, fans, power connectors, IDE ribbon cables, and Pentium 4 CPU. Re-inserted CPU after vacuuming socket again, and only one 1GB DIMM. Reconnected power-supply plugs, and minimum peripherals, i.e., monitor, mouse, and keyboard. Restarted system, and la-di-da: The sucker worked.

Don't really know for sure what caused the system health LED on the motherboard to come on, but at least it's working now.

Last step is to install coupla 120GB PATA disks in RAID 1 config, and reinstall Win2K3. Hopefully, this won't happen again.
Andy Bender
Advisor

Re: ProLiant ML310 G1 "CPU 1 pre-failure or failure" LED is on...

Problem solved, so thread is closed.