New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProLiant ML310 G5 Smart Start fails

SOLVED
Go to solution
beraus99
Occasional Advisor

ProLiant ML310 G5 Smart Start fails

Hello.

I tried to configure a ProLiant ML310 G5 (2x250Gb HD Raid1) with the provided CD (SmartStart 8.10)
But I get the message: No bootable device found.
when I try to manage the RAID Set I get the message: No compatible controller found.

Now: What can I try?

Thanks a lot.

Kind Regards
R. Beraus
21 REPLIES 21
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Is the raid configured on the embedded controller? Smart Start does not generally support assisted installations on SW raid controllers. Have you tried a manual installation yet (booting straight off of the OS cd)?
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
beraus99
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your reply.

With Windows Server2003 it seems to recongize the Raid Array.
But my customer wants to install Windows XP.
(A WinXP Pro Lisence is already existing)

Can you tell me: What driver do I have to include for WinXP?

Thanks a lot

Kind Regards

R. Beraus
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor
Solution

This is an adaptec controller, so I would wager the driver is somewhere on their website. The driver listed as working for 2003 has this listed in the txtsetup.oem file "Adaptec SATA Driver v1.00 (Windows 32 bit for 2000/XP/2003)". It's entirely possible this driver will work for you.

The driver is available here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3580655&prodNameId=3580656&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-1af9deb2dde346e78892d0e1b4
beraus99
Occasional Advisor

Hi.

Thanks again.

I tried to integrate the driver you mentioned in a WinXP Pro CD with nlite (you know it?)

But when I boot with this cd I get the message: "The file HpCISSs2.sys was not found"

Anymore hints?

Thanks a lot!
beraus99
Occasional Advisor

Now I made another try with a diskette (temporarily attached) and pressing F6 at the install routine of winXP.
And it worked!!
(You made my day!)

But now another question: Should I take the other driveres from the CD (HP Smartstart)

Or do you have links to the drivers (like the last one) ?

Thanks very much!

Kind Regards

R. Beraus
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

I would recommend just installing the support pack from the cd. When you put it in it should autorun and give you the option for an express installation. Go ahead and select that option. I'm not sure how much of it will install on top of xp though.
beraus99
Occasional Advisor

Hi again.

Now Windows XP is runnning.
(I installed the missing drivers from the SmartStart CD)

Another question about the Raid Controller:
I made a Raid1 Array
Is it now possible if one HD is defect to change this defect hd online(hotswapping) and rebuild the array?

Or do I have to switch off the server, change the defect hd and the reboot, rebuild the array and boot again

How can I observe the health status of the Raid1 Array. Is it possible to send a mail/message if there is a problem with the Raid1 array?

Thanks a lot
Kind Regards
R. Beraus
Matt.T
Occasional Advisor

Hi there,

I took your advice on this forum and I was also able load Windows XP on a ML310 G5.

But I am not able to run the "Array Diagnostic Utility 8.0.14.0" on Windows XP Pro. When I execute the program it launches it and It does not find any Array Controllers in its list. Even after several Rescans I am not able to see anything on the list.

I do have 2 SATA 250 drives configured on a RAID 1 setup.

Please help me!
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Which controller? Is this the embedded SATA controller? If so, then reason you can't get the array configuration utility to detect the controller is due to the fact you don't have a supported one. This will only work with HP Smart Array controllers (E200, P400, etc.).