New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProLiant ML310 G5 Smart Start fails

SOLVED
Go to solution
Matt.T
Occasional Advisor

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the quick reply. I do have the on board Raid Controller.

Is there another tool (Other than the Built in ROM based management tool) that I could run on Windows XP to monitor the Raid?

In the case of a drive failure how could I manage these drives since they are suppose to be hot-swap.

Thanks again Terry for your prompt help!

Regards,

Matt

PS (For HP): I believe HP should put drivers from Win XP on their web site. This is suppose to be a low end server and not everyone could pay $1000+ for the Windows Server 2003.

Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Hot swap-ability for the drives is also dependant on the controller. Technically, I don't believe the embedded array controller supports that. There should be an Adaptec raid manager that runs as a service when using the embedded controller. I believe the software available at the following url will install on top of XP also:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3580655&prodNameId=3580656&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-3f27718395524ff393ffc94d2d
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Matt.T
Occasional Advisor

Terry you are wonderful!!

I have installed the Adaptec raid manager and it works like a charm.

Matter of fact, I have pulled one of the drive and put that back into the bay, I noticed on the Raid Manager it is rebuilding the new drive automatically!

Thanks again Terry you made my day!
beraus99
Occasional Advisor

Hi Matt, hi Terry.

Thanks a lot to you both!!

Terry for the link and Matt for the report of the test.

Now i know what to do.

And, yes: HP should provide WinXP Drivers for this sort of server. (Win XP pro is much cheaper than any Win Server System; if someone have to use windows.... like me)
beraus99
Occasional Advisor

Hi again.

I installed the HP Storage Controller Software and it seems to work.

Now I tried to configure the "send a mail in case of error" feature.
But this fails.
I got the following error: "RCPT error sending ....."

Has anyone of you tried those feature?

I have to use the smtp server of my internet provider.

Is there anywhere a possibility to configure a authentication for such a smtp server? (login + pass)

Thanks a lot again!
Matt.T
Occasional Advisor

Hi again,

I have noticed something on my Server with the Hot-Plug SATA Hard drive LEDs do not lit-up (or show any activities) after the server is up and running.

When it boots I could see both LEDs on each of my drives (2x250GB SATA) lit-up for 1 sec (part of the initialization).

Is it something normal or should I be worried?

According to the Server Documentation: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01272003/c01272003.pdf

Page 8: on that PDF talks about Hard Drive LEDs.

Please let me know with your findings.

Thanks again all for your help.

Regards

Matt
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

The behavior from the LED's is normal. This is from the quickspecs for that server:
NOTE: When hot-plug SATA hard drives are installed, SATA LED functionality and full SATA hot-plug capability are not supported with the embedded controller. For full LED and hot-plug support, an optional SATA RAID or SAS controller must be installed. SAS Controllers support both SAS and SATA hard drives.

....Go to the following URL and search on LED:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12858_na/12858_na.html
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Matt.T
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Terry. You just made my day one more time! Now I could go home peacefully!

Regards,

Matt
beraus99
Occasional Advisor

Has anybody a answer for my question?

Thanks a lot
Matt.T
Occasional Advisor

beraus99,

I am not an expert here, but the looks of it... you need an MTA (Mail Transfer Agent - something like Sendmail) running on your local LAN which will be configured to RELAY your local mails to an external server.

I don't think the Storage manager is complex enough to have all those features.

I hope this helps!

Good lucks!

Matt