New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProLiant ML330 RAID5 HDD swap how?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Benedek Frank
Advisor

ProLiant ML330 RAID5 HDD swap how?

Dear HP users,

I am an admin of an inherited ML330 server that had a HDD failure just a few days back. HP gave me a replacement, and I would like to know what I am facing replacing the HDD. My system has a RAID5 consisting 3 72GB SCSI drives. I located the drive that died, but our HDD rack isnt hot pluggable, so I need to bring the system down for the swap. My question is as follows:

If I install the new HDD, do I go to the SCSI controller's BIOS to rebuild the array, or I just boot up, and it will be done in the background? If so, I can do it in Lunch Time, but if the BIOS will rebuild the array, I cannot have it done now, but rather after office hours.

The SCSI controller is a HP SA642

Thanks

Ben
6 REPLIES 6
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor
Solution

Ben, SA642 controller will do rebuild automatically (in background).
You only need replace HDD and boot up server, so you can do it in Lunch time and you even will have time to lunch :-)
You can check rebuild progress by using Array configuration utility.
Benedek Frank
Advisor

Hi Igor,

Thanks for letting me know that.

I will do it soon. How about the Array Config utility? I launched it "For the first time" and I found myself not having access to it. I can view things, but cannot change, as I dont have the admin password. The people who installed it forgot as well. I am of course a complete admin on the machine and the domain itself, but this software's creentials are lost. What is a possible reconfiguration of passwords?

Thanks

Ben
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Ben , Array configuration utilitity (ACU) uses System Management Homepage authentication (and System Management Homepage is part of proliant
support pack (PSP)).
System Management Homepage 2.0 included in PSP 7.20 version removes the accounts (administrator, operator, user) that were built into prior versions of the System Management Homepage. With version 2.0, authentication uses operating system accounts and passwords to validate interactive users who are logging in to the System Management Homepage (and ACU).
I assume you use version <= 7.10 and I suggest you upgrade to last Proliant support pack version (7.40) which include updated system management homepage.
Use this link if you run windows 2003
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/22871.html
or select PSP 7.40 version for another OS here:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/family/model/5548.html?lang=en&cc=us

But I suggest you replace HDD and
rebuid RAID BEFORE Proliant support pack update. If you can view Array configuration utility information - it is enough for you during RAID rebuild. You will have information about RAID rebuild completed in Windows event viewer as well.

If you don't want to upgrade to new PSP versions: you can reinstall agents and change password. Or if you have server where you know agent password:
Copy the CPQHMMD.ACL file (usually in c:\compaq\wbem) from a server you know the agent password to the server where you don't know the password. Restart the web agent, the password will be changed to the same as the server from which you copied the file.
Benedek Frank
Advisor

Igor,

Thanks so much for your informations. You really helped me out a lot. I will do just like you said. I wont install anything now, I dont want any unnecessary writes/reads from/to the harddrives, until they are ill. I will do the swap soon, and report back. Unfortunately the Lunch break time has passed, and I havent got a chance to replace it yet, so I will do it in about 5-6 hours, when people leave the office. Yes, everybody is a workaholic, so I do need to stay in late today :)

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Ben
Benedek Frank
Advisor

Dear Igor

Thanks for all your kind help again. I did the Swap, and it synced up nicely. Now my server is bullet proof again, at least I hope :)

On another note, you said that if I reinstall the PSP, it will behave about the passwords in a different manner. I wasnt able to still log in, having reinstalled most of the PSP package. Of course I didnt install stuff I didnt need, but all the System Manager, and Array Conf, etc is installed. When I log in from the localhost, I can browse it anonynmously, but cannot make changes, When I go however from another workstation on the same network, I am immediately prompted for credentials, which I dont have.... :(

Do you have some suggestion to this?

Thanks

Ben
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Ben, which PSP version you reinstalled ?
I suggest you to install last PSP version (7.40) which include new system management homepage. According to your answer I think you still have system management homepage with built-in accounts.
If you want to keep old version you need to define new password for administrator during system management homepage installation.
Note: you need to install all PSP, PSP installation will automatically install only components you need.