Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProLiant ML330 randomly shuts off

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ryan935
Occasional Visitor

ProLiant ML330 randomly shuts off

I recently bought a ML330 Server from a local flea market to use as a home server. I never used a server before and have always wanted to, as it would be great experience. Anyway, Its been working perfectly for the last 2 days, but i decided to give it a good cleaning inside as it was filthy. I removed everything inside, completely wiped off everything of dust. Put it all back together just as it was only i swapped the sound card for a newer model i had laying around. I plugged it in and it turned on by itself which never happened before. Then it got to loading NT4 and it shuts off. So i re swapped the Sound cards annd plug it back in. Same thing happens only this time it doesnt even get to the "searching for boot record from..." screen and it shuts off. What could this be? i looked over everything and it all seems well. put parts on other computers and they work fine but all together this happens.
7 REPLIES
Víctor Cespón
Honored Contributor

Re: ProLiant ML330 randomly shuts off

Sound card? In a Proliant? Can you please try to use the server without any non-HP hardware connected?
Ryan935
Occasional Visitor

I did, i put all the original parts back in, including the sound card which says its a Compaq part on the card itself. I upgraded the BIOS so the problem was fixed anyway. Anyone know why when booting up it will say there is an imminent failure with one of the SCSI disks but still boot windows and both show up and transfer files fine?
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

that is the exact message you're getting?

"imminent failure with one of the SCSI disks" ??

is there any red or amber Light on HDDs.

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
kira12
Advisor

if your Server is an G330 First Generation? They need the Original Fan connected on the Backside of housing. They is present an turn?

regards kira12
TRS
Frequent Advisor

Hi,
May be one of the connection is loose.Bcz Before Maintanance it is working fine.
Once Again reconnect all conections.Spesialy check Hdd & all fans conections.
Once try with minimum Hardware
Means without hdd,cd rom,fdd,
Only conect smps,rams,cpu,FANS so we can say atleast ur this parts are OK.
Then conect other parts & try
go stape by stap.

Regards,
TRS
Ryan935
Occasional Visitor

Okay, stupid me. I updated the system BIOS and realized there was an option for Auto Shutdown on Server Failure option that i must of accidentally enabled. -_-

Anyway i have a new problem. I think one of the scsi disks are dead, or dying. Because sometimes they both spin up at the same time when its booted. A few times one has spun and then the other spun up. Now only the second one does (which is the one windows is installed on). Windows doesn't even recognize the first disk now. I dont know much about SCSI but do i have to have the boot drive on the first port of the scsi cable and the slaves on the ports after? The drive might be just dead cause its over 8 years old.

I think this is a generation one server. It has a 733mhz Pentium 3, 128mb RAM, CD-ROM, 2 18.6gb SCSI Disks.
kira12
Advisor
Solution

yes, it is an G1 ;-)

the Kabel is neutral, your Drives have an ID. the First is 0, the last is 7/15. But you can Boot from each on drives if you mark the Drive as 'Bootable'.

regards kira12