1745871 Members
4200 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion

ProLiant ML350 G4P and VMWare

eli_lindsey
Advisor

ProLiant ML350 G4P and VMWare

I have this server running Server 2008 x64 and installed VMWare 10, but when I try to spin up a 64-bit OS in VMWare, it says it cannot do it and the system would need to be in long mode.  The Intel Chipset is an E7520 which supposedly is capable of this feature, but I'm not sure how to do this.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

15 REPLIES 15
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: ProLiant ML350 G4P and VMWare

http://ark.intel.com/sv/products/46490/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E7520-18M-Cache-1_86-GHz-4_80-GTs-Intel-QPI

sure looks like the Intel Xeon E7520 has intel Virtualization in it. It is enabled in the BIOS/RBSU. 

eli_lindsey
Advisor

Thanks.  Good to know.   Can you point me to where this is set in the BIOS to verify that it is on?  I assumed it was on because VMWare installed, but still can't spin up a 64-bit OS as a client.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

It varies slightly between the BIOS versions.

It's usually under Advanced Settings, Processor Settings and "Intel(R) Virtualization Technology".

eli_lindsey
Advisor

Thanks, Johan.  I've looked through the BIOS and couldn't find the setting.  VMWare won't allow me to stand up a 32-bit system either.  So my hands are really tied.  I believe I have the wrong the chipset, but not sure if I need to update the BIOS, driver, chipset and firmware.  

eli_lindsey
Advisor

I know for certain these server are capable of running virtual machines so I must have it configured wrong.  Can anyone running this server provide links to the Intel/BIOS drivers they used?  Thanks.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Update everything and check then?
Use HP's SPP.
Guess you could read release notes too..
eli_lindsey
Advisor

I just ran the SPP and tried updating everything, but getting the same results.  Are there any logs or items I should post to this thread to help see if something is misconfigured? Thanks.

Oh, when running the updates, I also pulled down the information from the HP FTP.

Thanks.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

A quick googling shows others with similar problem like you.

http://serverfault.com/questions/381519/virtualization-platform-for-older-hardware-non-intel-vt-amd-v

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/ML350-G4p-and-Hyper-V/td-p/4166843#.Uu_JInWSzng

Perhaps the errors you are getting when you try to load the VM would be useful. 

Do 32-bit VMs start?

eli_lindsey
Advisor

No.  I'm running Win Server 2008 R2 x64.  I tried to create a 64 bit VM and VMWare 10 barked about the server not having a 64 bit OS and something needs to be in "long mode" in the BIOS (which I assume is the Virtualization switch).  I then tried to install a 32 bit OS and received the same error.  Still not able to find any option to turn on virtualization in the BIOS.  I've seen this option in laptops, desktops and my Dell server, but not able to find it for this server.  

Since I'm using VMWare 10 and it will not even allow me to upgrade to 10.0.1, I might try downgrading VMWare to version 9 to see if I get the same error.  Thoughts?