ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748088 Members
4992 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: [ ProLiant ML350 G5 ] Smart Array E200i battery failure?

SOLVED
Go to solution
MelvinN
Occasional Advisor

[ ProLiant ML350 G5 ] Smart Array E200i battery failure?

Hello,

We have a ProLiant ML350 G5 server which gave me the notice to replace the battery of the E200i controller?

Where can I get such battery? En which one do I need?

Thanks in advance!

Yours sincerly,

Melvin
28 REPLIES 28
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi Melvin,

You need this battery:

HP part number: 307132-001

Description: Battery : 3.6V battery pack assembly - 500mAh nickel metal hydride (NiMH) - Oval shaped, 12.5mm (0.5in) high, 38mm (1.5in) wide, and 77mm (3.0in) long

good luck... er, bonne chance. If you appreciate the answers, we appreciate the points!
MelvinN
Occasional Advisor

Hi WFH-WI,

Thanks for your reply!

After replacing the battery do i have to do something else? Like re-configure the raid array or something like that?

Nikliz

I would've recommend to verify the Firmware on your controller and if it's out of date to upgrade it to the latest version and wait for at least 72hrs and re run the ADU. But, if you keep having the error msg after that to go ahead and replace the battery. After that you don't need to make any other changes.

Cheers!
FYI:Also verify how many batteries you'r controller is currently supporting :D
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

Nikliz is right, no need to reconfigure your array or do any other actions once you have replaced this battery.

Easy as it gets!
MelvinN
Occasional Advisor

Thanks! The firmware is v1.20... very old, i guess.

But I don't think it says "replace battery" without reason. If I don't replace the battery... what will happen?

And how exactly do i replace the battery?

I'm a servernewb... sorry.
Saberus
Valued Contributor

If you don't replace the battery, it may not have enough charge to support the cache if there's a power failure. If the system detects the battery is dead, it may disable the cache altogether until the charge level comes back up, this can have a severe impact on your I/O rates.

I agree with the rest, verify your firmware is up to date first, sometimes the new firmware has better verification/management on charging the battery. remember to wait 72 hours to give the system enough time to trickle-charge the battery.

If you do have to replace the battery, it will be connected to the cache module with a few easy to release clips. Just power down the server (properly of course), remove the cache module from the system, and swap out the batteries. It can take up to 72 hours for the battery to get back to full charge.

If you like, HP offers a page where you can view most server models, and how to replace/remove many parts in them at http://h20464.www2.hp.com/index.html

Here's a direct link to the process to get the cache module out: http://h20464.www2.hp.com/results.htm?SID=1121586&MEID=8B57711E-5E25-479C-9F6A-BE5916307139

Hope this helps.
Proliant Watch
Valued Contributor

307132-001 - 3.6V battery pack assembly - 500mAh nickel metal hydride (NiMH) - Oval shaped, 12.5mm (0.5in) high, 38mm (1.5in) wide, and 77mm (3.0in) long B -N/A- Modified

413486-001 - 128MB battery-backed write cache (BBWC) module - 40-bit - Does not include the battery assembly - For Smart Array E200/64 controller

Those are the 2 batteries used with e200 controller. Also check for the spare part no on the battery in your server.

For the purchase and the pricing details of the HP Proliant parts, please call the Pre-Sales at 1-800-888-5858 Or you can call HP Parts Store at 1-800-227-8164 to order by phone.

Regards,
http://hpproliant.blogspot.com/
MelvinN
Occasional Advisor

Thanks!

It can't go wrong with this information... great! :)
JaceM

I noticed that there are two bateries. How can I determine which one is bad?