ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748052 Members
4609 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: [ ProLiant ML350 G5 ] Smart Array E200i battery failure?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Jade: I think there are more than one battery cell inside the battery pack and that one of them is faulty. You replace the whole battery pack (one spare part). I would not advise you to try to replace individual cells inside there, unless you know what you're doing.

Or do you actually have two battery packs connected to the controller?
JaceM

1 pack. Thanks!!
bgarlock
Occasional Visitor

Hello,

I am having the same error, so I am going to order part #307132-001.  The links to the "Self Help" show how to remove the cache memory SIMM/DIMM, but don't show how to replace the battery.  Will this be a "common sense" replacement once I get the battery?  I've searched HP's Web site for any documentation on replacing the BBWC Battery, but can only find replacing the entire memory module.

Many thanks,

Bruce

Richardc0077
Occasional Advisor

Hi All

i am also a newbe to the server club and also have a problem with the battery pack. i ahve found some top ideas about this subject in the above but i can give you my 10 cents worth the battery pack comes of very easly but mack sure the when you replace it with the new one check the 2 clips at the botom of the board have locked in. don't forget to follow static precautions and earth your self.

Richard C

DarthVal
Visitor

I am just wondering - would it be easiest to just replace the whole battery-backed write cache?  If so, do I need to rebuild the array after or will there be any configuration involved?

I know very little about server hardware management.

Thanks.

Robert Klarmann
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

no - you have to replace only the battery module - it is clipped behind the cache module. It is easy to remove from the cache module. After clipping in the new battery you put the cache module back in place on the controller - close the server and power it up.

If you have too much money to spend you can also replace the complete BBWC module with battery :-) but as said befor - you should not ;-)

The battery will be charged and the controller will then reenable the write cache. That's all - no need to change config or array settings.

Regards

Robert

Was the post useful? Clik on the white KUDOS! Star.
Thank You!

•Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
DarthVal
Visitor

Thanks, Robert.  This will be much easier, since I am having difficulty determining exactly which part # I would need for the cache.  :)

DarthVal
Visitor

Okay, I have replaced the battery, rebooted the server and waiting a few days to see if that battery just needed to charge.

I am still getting the same message.

Do I need to reboot again to be able to see that the battery has been charged?  Is there something else that I need to do to get it to recognize the new battery?

DarthVal
Visitor

I have replaced both the battery and battery backed cache card.  I have installed the latest firmware.

I am still getting this error message.

Any ideas on what else to try?

VelocityTracy
Advisor

413486-001 is a part number for 128mb cache. but of course there are other sizes. im unsure what you're using.
New here but not new to the Industry and Love to help!