1748018 Members
3287 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ProLiant ML350 G5 Smart Array E200i battery failure

Spooky63
Occasional Visitor

ProLiant ML350 G5 Smart Array E200i battery failure

My server, which has been offline and unplugged for for a few months, is indicating that it needs a new Smart Array battery, now that I'm attempting to bring it back online. However, the SAS drive in slot 5 is no longer recognized, and the server will not boot. Can the dead battery cause such a problem? If so, will replacing the battery solve the problem, or do I need to reconfigure the array? Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: ProLiant ML350 G5 Smart Array E200i battery failure

Hi,

A BBWC battery which was offline for months, has lost its charge.  To charge a new battery, it will take atleast 24hrs.

Drive failure is not related to battery.

Your options are:

If battery does not charge and gives the same error, then replace the battery.

Replacing the battery will  not bring the drive 5 back online.

Regarding Drive 5, either it could be faulty or may be the backplane is faulty, try with a different spare drive in that slot.

Recreate Raid.

Refer to this article: HP ProLiant Servers - 1700/1701/1726/1728/1732/1748/1764/1793 and 1794 Array Accelerator Cache Battery (BBWC) or Capacitor (FBWC) Errors.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

waaronb
Respected Contributor

Re: ProLiant ML350 G5 Smart Array E200i battery failure

At most, a dead or discharged battery will disable the write caching on the controller. It should still operate as normal, with the exception of not being able to expand/extend/migrate existing arrays until the battery is replaced or charged.

If it's not seeing a drive at all, power off and reinsert the drive... it may not be fully seated, especially if you've moved that system around.

You mentioned it was unplugged for a while, so there's a good chance it got bumped some during that time or when plugging back in and the drive got knocked a little loose.

If you have other drives plugged in as well, hopefully they all work and it's just that one drive with a problem... otherwise it may indicate other issues like loose connectors inside.

When shipping machines or moving them between racks, it's always a good idea to pop the lid and give all the cables a quick check, see if any memory modules came loose, and then just bump the front of the drives to make sure they're fully inserted.