1748242 Members
4210 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProLiant ML350 G6 - iLO2 Won't boot to Virtual Media

Robert Egloff
Frequent Advisor

ProLiant ML350 G6 - iLO2 Won't boot to Virtual Media

Since the forums are changed and searching is hopeless without google...

I'm having issues getting a ML350 G6 to boot to any virtual media - any clue why? I've tried at least 6 different ISOs and I can get them to work on other servers. Firmware update isn't much of an option since there's no OS on the server and if I wanted to update Firmware, I'd need the virtual media applet.

Otherwise, I can't see what I'm doing wrong - it doesn't at all attempt to boot to the virtual media. I can even do a 'one-time boot' from CD/DVD drive and it just ignores it.

Any known reasons this will happen? The server was in use, but deployment got delayed and it needs re-imaged now. I'm almost positive it's been imaged with virtual media before and with this version of Firmware. I believe the Firmware is at 9.20, I did update it at one point - maybe 4 months ago.

19 REPLIES 19
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Robert Egloff
Frequent Advisor

I did - but couldn't find anything for "iLO2 virtual media" at all.

That being said - I guess it came across wrong.. :)
I do like the new forum setup.

I just couldn't seem to find anything on a search, but I can try it again in any event.
Robert Egloff
Frequent Advisor

Well.. I found my post now, lol - so I guess it's working.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@Robert Egloff wrote:

Firmware update isn't much of an option since there's no OS on the server and if I wanted to update Firmware, I'd need the virtual media applet.

You don't need an OS on the server to update the firmware

The latest version of iLO2 is 2.06. Download cp014891.exe (Windows) or CP014890.scexe (Linux) and extract the files. Login to iLO using your browser, under the admin tab select firmware and upload the extracted file ilo2_206.bin

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=1135772&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=135&prodClassId=-1&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=1146658

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Robert Egloff
Frequent Advisor

Doh, didn't even think about that - yeah, suppose I can do the iLO FW manually, it's at 2.01 so that will help. Hopefully that will get it to work. Thanks Jimmy

Robert Egloff
Frequent Advisor

Ok - I tried about everything I can think of. I even tried the ISO on a ML350 G5 and it worked as expected.

Firmware's updated... any other ideas as to why I can't boot from virtual media on a iLO2 in a ML350 G6?

It doesn't even prompt to 'press any key to boot from cd', etc. - but it does respond to keys being pressed, I checked the BIOS and the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot chain. I know before I took down the OS, that it detected and loaded the virtual media ok....

Any suggestions appreciated :)

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Make sure USB hasn't been disabled in RBSU

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Robert Egloff
Frequent Advisor

I'll check that - I just had an on-site helper pull the power cables from the server and let it sit for a bit - maybe that will help too.

Robert Egloff
Frequent Advisor

Oddly, USB 2.0 was disabled - but regular USB wasn't. I was hoping to say it works now that I enabled USB 2.0, but that doesn't seem to be the case..

We really might need this function working on this one, with it being a remote site.

Oddly, the BIOS menu is also 'jumping around' like something is laying on a key, on the keyboard for instance - I thought that could have been the issue, but the keyboard is unplugged from it now.

I might just have to open a case on this one :(