1748157 Members
3998 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ProLiant ML350 G6 - iLO2 Won't boot to Virtual Media

Robert Egloff
Frequent Advisor

I did call SupportOne - they asked me to download a different version of SmartStart, but oddly, I doubt that will do anything at all to help with this problem. I suspect we'll have to have the system board replaced - eventually..

Thanks for your input on this in any event!

d3vnul
Frequent Advisor

I'm having exactly the same problem on a DL380 G6.

I have ESXi installed on the internal USB port ... no idea if this might affect the booting but I'm out of ideas.

Ilo2 version 2.0.6
Ideas i tried:
- cd-rom first boot option ( virtual drive doesn't boot )
- external usb drives first boot option ( virtual drive doesn't boot)
- disable intel sata from bios ( virtual drive doesn't boot )
- verified virtual media port in case it's blocked ( port open , telnet works , virtual media still wont boot ).
- tried multiple java editios including even the recommended version by hp witch is : j2re-1_4_2_13 ( same story , doesn't boot)
- tried to restart ilo ( same story , doesn't boot )
- tried all the above steps from freshly installed OS's ( xp & win7 x64 ) -> same story , doesn't boot

In my case i was in need to use the firmware dvd and the new offline hp acu iso because we cannot use any hp tools due to virtualization layer. After we connect a iso image via ilo virtual media we can access the content of the iso via a guest virtual machine from ESXi but the only problem is that it just wont boot from it while restarting the server ( even tried pressing F11 at boot options to bypass the regular boot options and select option 1 to attempt to boot 1 time from cd-rom but without any success).

p.s: i also read all the ilo2 documentation and tried everything without success :(
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@Robert Egloff wrote:

I did call SupportOne - they asked me to download a different version of SmartStart, but oddly, I doubt that will do anything at all to help with this problem. I suspect we'll have to have the system board replaced - eventually..

Thanks for your input on this in any event!

Next option I'd try is to reset RBSU to factory default. Pop the cover and flip the switch (usually switch 6) refer to diagram inside lid for switch location. You can also reset under advanced options in RBSU, I prefer the switch method.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

d3nvul, it be a good idea to start your own thread, as they may not be the same issue.  Your trouble shooting so far looks good, one other suggestion, did you try to boot the DVD in anotehr system to make sure it is bootable?

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
d3vnul
Frequent Advisor

Jimmy , sorry for 'hi-jacking' the topic , it was just very similar to mine that i though it's the issue , wont do it again :) , and for your suggestion yes i always do test the iso's on more systems before starting live maintenance on a server.

I will just keep an eye on this topic for possible updates/resolution for the topic owner as it might also solve mine.

Robert Egloff
Frequent Advisor

No, that's good - it's on topic, IMO. Same issue.

Problem is that the server is 900 miles away and it's not so easy to get that done. I may have to call HP Support back - but I'll mention that to the Tech Jimmy, it might be the easiest fix.

And another ISO didn't fix it - I didn't think it would, but I was willing to try it, plus I needed the new version of SmartStart anyway.

One of my team members suggested running the FW update again - just in case, I tried that, but no dice :(

When I initially loaded the OS on this server, I was on-site so the virtual media's never been tested. But issues arose and the software that's partially installed on it was put on hold and installed to a different server due to a problem we were having with the array on this one - it was just a single bad drive that has since been fixed.

This is turning out to be one of those annoying problem servers, sadly. Although 99% of HP's servers are great, every now and then... one is quirky. Still, I like the HP servers and prefer the iLO's over other similar technologies.

It seems to me a system board replacement is over the top, although it may fix it. But I've run into this before every now and then, so I'd like to find some type of fix for it.

I should be able to get the site to put in a DVD - that's a good idea, just to make sure it's actually the Virtual Media and not something else. I have a bit of time on this one to dig into the problem.

Mikey976

I think i may figured this out for any user whom is having this issue. without the need for on-site assistance.
withing the RBSU go to the usb settings and select "disable external usb devices"
then reboot (Making sure your virtual media is loaded) , your image should boot from that point. this disables all external input to machine and unlike disabling usb legacy devices will still retain iLO support/control as well as "embedded" ie Virtual Media Devices.

hope this helps
JayCallahan

Disabling the External USB did the trick for me. Thanks

JonnySLC

I just had this exact same issue. Disabling the external USB ports fixed the issue as well.

Reboot server

Press F9 for bios/setup

System Settings

USB

Disable External USB

Reboot and now working!!

Thanks guys!

blentes
Frequent Advisor

thanks for that tip. It helped me after struggling for days :-)). Strangely i now have "legacy usb disabled", but ILO virtual media is booting, although RBSU says with "legacy usb disabled" ILO virtual media would not work. Hmm. Nevertheless, thanks again for that very helpful tip.

Bernd