108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProLiant ML350 SCSI disk failed

SOLVED
Go to solution
Aliver_2

ProLiant ML350 SCSI disk failed

Hi,
we have a ProLiant ML350 server working for a long time. And now one of the disks has failed. It is Seagate ST373307LW and it is not in an array. It is detected and initialized during startup but gets the status "failed". So I cannot access it from Windows thought I can see it is present. Is there any way I can restore the data? I've read that I should try disabling SMART but I can't find how to do it.
7 REPLIES 7
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor
Solution

The reason you use RAID 1,5, and 10 is so a disk failure does not mean loss of data. You can send the drive to On Track for recovery. It will cost around $2000. You can recover from your backups. I hope you do daily full backups. SMART only predicts failure. Once a drive fails, you are in trouble.
LuckyP_1
Frequent Advisor

Agree with Mike. To recover data on that disk you should contact Data recovery services provider.

Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

You could try to slave the drive in another box and recovering the data. Sometimes its just the boot sector area that is damaged. It works 10% of the time.
Same Elay
Occasional Advisor

Your issue will be most probably the following.

You had a single disk in your array with RAID 0. (This is the only supported configuration with single disk)
The disk is failed. Now the system is seeing a new disk instead. Even if you insert a new disk it will show as failed.

In the above case, go to HP ACU and confirm that you have the above scenario configured in your system. Check that you have a RAID 0 with single disk.
1. Delete the array.
2. Create a new array and select the disk you inserted.
3. Create logical drive (Only RAID 0 will be available, since you have only one drive).
4. Save the configuration.
5. You will the disk present in the disk manager.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

My only concern is this is a production server and you could damage the drive so you can't recover if you are not careful.
Aliver_2

Thank you, guys!
Seems like professional service is the only thing we can do now to restore data.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

$2000 would have gotten you a LTO 3 tape drive.