Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProLiant ML350G3: Intermittent corrupt files

JimInSydney
Occasional Visitor

ProLiant ML350G3: Intermittent corrupt files

Hi all -

I'm seeing intermittent corrupt files on a ProLiant ML350G3 server. The files are documents saved by users to the server over a network. By opening the corrupt files in a hex editor, I can see that the files contain only 0x00 from byte offset 0x18000 (decimal 98304, or 96kB) onward. Comparison with non-corrupt copies of the files reveals that the files should contain data from offset 0x18000 onward but instead only contain 0x00s.

Possibly relevant information about this machine's configuration is:

Chassis: HP ProLiant ML350G3
System ROM: 5/29/2003
Disk Controller: Smart Array 532
SA532 Firmware Revision: Rev B, v2.38
SA532 Driver Version: 5.44.0.32
ProLiant Storage Box 1: COMPAQ PROLIANT 4L6I
Storage Box Firmware Version: 1.78
Number of HDDs: 6
Number of logical Drives: 2
Logical Drive 1: RAID-5, 3 disks:
1. COMPAQ BF03685A35, 34728MBytes, firmware HPB4
2. COMPAQ BF03685A35, 34728MBytes, firmware HPB4
3. COMPAQ BF03685A35, 34728MBytes, firmware HPB4
Logical Drive 2: RAID-5, 3 disks:
4. COMPAQ BD14689BB9, 136 GBytes, firmware HPB1
5. COMPAQ BD14686225, 136 GBytes, firmware HPB6
6. COMPAQ BD14686225, 136 GBytes, firmware HPB6

The corrupt files are on logical drive 2.

I can obviously upgrade all the firmware and drivers to current versions, but I would rather try to first find out exactly what the problem is (ie if it's a known issue) or get some advice from those with more experience.

Any assistance is appreciated.

jim
6 REPLIES
Gus Kwong
Respected Contributor

Re: ProLiant ML350G3: Intermittent corrupt files

Hi Jim,

Umm... dont think it is hardware related. Since the issue is to do only certain files I would concentrate on focusing on the file store and open-file.

What files have been mostly affected? Access database / Word / Text / Picture? What's software/application?.

Thanks,

Gus

Learning never ends
JimInSydney
Occasional Visitor

The files are Microsoft Word and Excel files, generally between 10kB and 200kB in size.

The application is iManage (aka Interwoven Worksite), a legal document management system. It integrates with applications on the client (Word, Excel, etc) and abstracts the filesystem for the users so they don't need to worry about where they save their documents (eg drives and paths). The iManage server component is running on the machine in question, so it has local access to the disks.

I don't suspect the software because it is widely deployed in hundreds (if not thousands) of law firms around the world, and if this were a known issue it would be the subject of a major alert by the supplier.

I've only noticed corrupt files on logical drive 2. I suspect that the mismatched HDD part numbers and firmware revisions in logical drive 2 (the result of a failed drive replacement by HP) are the culprit. Am I right? Why or why not?

thanks

jim
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Jim,
I suggest to update all firmware with Firmware maintenance CD as first step.

>>I suspect that the mismatched HDD part numbers and firmware revisions in logical drive 2 (the result of a failed drive replacement by HP) are the culprit. Am I right? Why or why not?

I don't think that mismatched HDD part numbers related to problem. Outdated firmware maybe related.

Did you tried HP ProLiant Array Diagnostics Utility for Windows ?
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/26010.html
Gus Kwong
Respected Contributor

The best thing to do is to isolate the possibility of file corruption by hardware --- try the Microsoft's SQLIOSim.com (or the older version of SQLIOstress.exe). Map a network drive on a desktop PC against the server and run a test. Let us know what's the result.
Learning never ends
JimInSydney
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Gus and Igor.

I will take the steps you suggested and post the results.

jim
JimInSydney
Occasional Visitor

Guys

We did a blanket-update of the firmware about a month ago and haven't seen the problem since. Case closed... Thanks for your help.

jim