3539 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

ProLiant ML350p Gen8 - PCIe-Card / increased fan noise

Akosch
Occasional Visitor

ProLiant ML350p Gen8 - PCIe-Card / increased fan noise

hello,

there is a ProLiant ML350p Gen8-Server with esxi in an office and everything was ok until a PCIe-graphic-card was built in.

The fan speed is now increased from 6% to 25%  but why? The graphic-card has his own cooler so its idiotic to increas the server-fans as well. There is only more power usage and the server is to loud now. How can I disable this "feature" of hp? The customer needs a built in hdmi-graphic-card for monitoring-tools visible on a display beside the server. The graphic card will be passed through to a VM.

I upgraded BIOS-Firmware and disabled in Power Management Options > Advanced Power Management Options > PCIe Gen 3 Control the above mentioned PCIe Slot.

There must be a way to disable this nonsense "feature"! Maybe somebody has an idea!

Thank you very much!

5 REPLIES 5
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: ProLiant ML350p Gen8 - PCIe-Card / increased fan noise

Hi,

It usually happens if you use Non-Compatible / Non-HP PCI card in the server.

New generation of servers has a feature called Option Card Sensor Data (OCSD), this sends temperature data to the server BIOS or iLO chip.

The card installed has to be compatible with OCSD which allows the system to read the internal sensor to the card and therefore allows a closer thermal management of its key components.

If the card is removed, the server comes back to its standard fan speed.

Lets "hope" HP will come up with some firmware upgrades that may have the option to slow down the fan speed.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

ernst limbrunner
Trusted Contributor

hi

i have heard of this problem several times.

the type of pci-e cards does not seem to be important.

in two cases it was a plain usb-3 card that caused the fans to speed up permanently.

hp austria confirmed the problem and promised that a future fw upgrade will fix the problem.

lets hope and see

best regards

ernesto

ernst limbrunner
Trusted Contributor

hi

there a SO MANY sensors in a gen8 server that a pci-e card does not need its own sensor.

by the way, not all supported hp cards do have temperature sensors.

best regards

ernesto

kernel-io
Occasional Visitor

I am encountering the same issue with my ML350p, I have purchased a HP Quadro 4000 and installed it, the fans still run at 27% compared to the 6% they used to run at.

I have reset the BIOS, reseated the fans, reset iLO but to no avail.

I wonder if HP will actually release a fix for this or provide us with some more information.

DavidHur
Occasional Advisor

It occrred as same situation on the ML110 GEN 9 AND GEN 10.
It is passed 6 years BUT STILL HAVE THIS PROBLEM.
You makes it explained as well if the install GPU card what happened.
It makes me supprised HP doesn't fixed this issued on today.
What's going on HP?
What is problem there?