ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProLiant SAS with multiple Array Controllers

ProLiant SAS with multiple Array Controllers

Hi,
Wondering if anyone has done this or if it is possible with the new gen ProLiant:

Like in G4 and older gen SCSI models, a customer needs to have 2 array controllers (4 drives on one, 2 on another), or, even just 1 to 1. Let's say on the DL360 G5 for example.

Is this possible with the internal cabling on the G5 servers? This has to do with a build spec and seperating I/O.

Thank you for any thoughts.
3 REPLIES
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Re: ProLiant SAS with multiple Array Controllers

Hello,

the Smart Array P400 controller in a DL360 G5 has two 4x wide connectors, which means 4 lanes on each connector. Both connectors are connected to the backplane. AFAIK are the disks 1 to 3 connected to the first, an 4 for 6 to the second connector. In this case you can add a second controller and route one cable from the backplane to the new controller. I don't know if this is supported, but IMHO it should work.

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Ulf Zimmermann
Frequent Advisor

Actually, the P400 connects the first 4 drives via the backplane afik. There is an option kit (list price $129 for 2 cables) which adds drive 5 and 6 to the P400. There is also a cable kit to do the same with a P600 add in card. So to answer the original question, you should be able to run either E200 or P400 for the first 4 drives and then P600 for the 5. and 6. drive.
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Ulf is right, if you have a E200i controller only 4 drives are possible. If you have a P400i controller, you need the HP Mini SAS 4i 13.4 inch/0.35 m cable (399546-B21) to support the disks in the 5 and 6 bay. For the P600 you need the HP SAS 4i to Mini SAS 4i 31 inch/.79 meter cable (411100-B21). In you case (if you have a P400i) you need to purchase an additional P600i and the HP SAS 4i to Mini SAS 4i 31 inch/.79 meter cable.

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick