1753770 Members
5055 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProLiant Server DL360 G4p

Stephen Schneider

ProLiant Server DL360 G4p

Hi all,

The company I work for recently purchased a DL360 G4p from a HP reseller. This server came with 2 SATA HDD's, no floppy or CD. They were nice enough to send the Win2003 Server CD's. My question is how do I go about in installing the OS?

On the order it states optical drive not an option on SATA models. Should the OS have been pre-installed?

I have contacted HP and they have told me a part no. for the CD drive that fits this server.... why not send it in the first place and why wasn't it an option when it was purchased?

Looking forward to your advice.

Stephen
7 REPLIES 7
Mi6t0
Trusted Contributor

I think that you have discuss the missing cd-rom with your reseller.

On this server there should be an ilo. If you have licence, you can use the virtual CD-ROM and Floppy drives.

Otherwise you can try using the HP Usb key utility to create bootable media.

Regards,
Mi6t0
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Stephen,

If it's any help, the same floppy disk and CD/DVD rom options are fitted to a number of servers (DL380 G2, G3, G4) and other DL360 models. If you have DL380 G3 or G4's in your environment you could "borrow" the floppy and CD/DVD drives (easy to remove on DL380's) and fit them to the DL360 G4p to get it up and running without any cost. I know it's a pain but rather than wait for HP or the reseller to sort things out you could at least have the system in use.

I hope this helps.

Brian
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

I believe the idea behind not including the cdrom is price savings. If customers deploy a rack full of these servers, then they usually won't be booting from a cd or floppy to deploy the OS. It's pretty unusual for customers to only install 1 of this type of server.

As Mi6t0 said, if you have the advance pack purchased for the ILO, then you can install the server remotely using the virtual cd feature.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Stephen Schneider

Thanks for the replies.

I'm using ILO to install the OS. I hadn't come across it previously so thanks for the heads up.

I'm currently downloading the latest version of the smartstart software as the original didn't seem to support the SATA drives or RAID controller. A "Bootable drive not found" error. I have configured the drives in a RAID 1 set, so I'm hoping the new version of smartstart will allow me to install the OS.

This is the first HP we have purchased. Actually for a job, we will just run our Building Management System software on it.

I'll let you all know how I go. Thanks again for the info so far.

Stephen
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Stephen:

If you're using iLO Virtual Media, I have a simpler way for you to do it. Go into RBSU on the server and in Advanced Options, turn "Virtual Install Disk" on. When you install Windows Server 2003, it'll be intelligent enough to use a driver supplied out of the ROM. The network drivers are newer than what is on Windows Server 2003, though, so the resulting system won't have network access. No problem! Download the PSP to your client and then use the new Folder mount feature to mount a folder from your client with the PSP in it to the remote machine. Install the PSP and reboot! You can then do a WS03 install without having to do a lot of swapping in and out of drivers during the install.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

on matter which smartstart you download or use if you don't have a smart array controller
P400 - e200 - 6i .... you can not use smartstart to deploy the server, so you have to install windows manually

** this is in the case you have this controller
Embedded 2 Port SATA Controller (SATA models)

if not you can use your smartstart CD.

regards

Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Stephen Schneider

The OS is now installed! :)

I had to create a floppy disk for the RAID controller, the Windows installer didn't seem to look at the ROM for the drivers.

Thanks for all the help guys, you gave me a few things to try that I would not have thought of. Normally use the old fashioned CD install.

Take care,
Stephen