1745907 Members
4224 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProLiant e200 Slow Write on RAID 5

bigdogchris
Occasional Contributor

ProLiant e200 Slow Write on RAID 5

I'm working with a e200 storage controler with 128MB BBC and firmware level at 1.86. The OS is Server 2008 R2 using the latest 6.24 drivers (6.26 will not install). BBC battery is reporting healthy.

I have created a RAID 5 set, default stripe, across eight  - 10k 146GB SAS disk, with latest firmware.

Write speed is approximately 15-20MB/s (Read is around 450MB/s)

I have tried various cache configurations of 100% write/0% read to 0% write/100% read, disabled the volume cache, enabled and disabled the local hard drive caching, etc. I am not able to achieve more than 15-20 MB/s writing to the disk.

I have also done multiple file copies between servers and volumes to verify real world results, which actually write slower than 15-20MB/s.

What's interesting is that when I use ATTO Disk Benchmark on the drive and disable Direct I/O (enables caching), the write speed jumps to around 400 MB/s. When I enable the Direct I/O the write speed is 15-20MB/s.

Any tips to help improve the performance? I understand this is an entry level controller but I cannot imagine HP would purposely ship a controller that could only get 15-20MB/s. There must be a solution. Perhaps enable write-back caching?

5 REPLIES 5
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

I will recommend to read this:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00687518/c00687518.pdf

And yes Do enable write cache on the controller.

BR

/jag

Accept or Kudo

bigdogchris
Occasional Contributor

@gregersenj wrote:

I will recommend to read this:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00687518/c00687518.pdf

And yes Do enable write cache on the controller.

BR

/jag

Hello,

Thank you for the reply. I have enabled the drive cache already, which I'm assuming is the same as write-back. I'm just curious if there was another method to enable it.

I have also noticed my BBC does not have any LED's flashing (Amber or Green). After removing the battery from the cache the LED lights on the cache were enabled.

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Keep the Smart Array defult settings, unless you have some very specific needs.

Do not enable the drives write cache.

The smart array controller will enable the write cache when the battery holds a sufficient charge.

If the battery is failed or if it is not sufficient charged, it will disable write cache.

Tools for trouble shooting: ACU (Array Configuration Utility (for Smart Array Controllers only). ADU (Array Diagnostics Utlilty (Now a part of the ACU). SMH (System Management Hompage (Available when Insight Agents is installed). IML (Integrated Management Log ( This is the hardware error log of a ProLiant server, it can be read using the IML log Viewer, the SMH, Insight Diagnostics or throug the ILo (Integrated Lights Out ( remote access hardware).

BR

/jag

Accept or Kudo

Keith Boddy
Occasional Advisor

Hi There!

Did you ever solve your write speed issues?  I'm seeing the same thing on one of our servers.

Our Array Strip size is currently 128k.

Thanks,

K

Sbrown
Valued Contributor

yes;buy a P400/512 BBWC, throw it in place, enjoy far faster speeds! ebay prices are ridiculously low!