6976 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problem accessing boot menu

SOLVED
Go to solution
Blair Tuthill

Problem accessing boot menu

I have a Proliant DL380 G4 server running Windows Server 2003. I have tried several time to access the boot menu using the F8 key at start up so I can start in Directory Services Retore Mode. I have not been able to access the menu. Can someone help. I noticed that F8 is also used for other startup options on this server. Is the key different for this server?
5 REPLIES 5
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Re: Problem accessing boot menu

Hi Blair,

You certainly should be able to do this, just when the system start to boot after the F9 prompt.

The other F8's are for ILO and ROM-Based controller configuration.

You can force it if you are able to access and modify the boot.ini file by entering the following switch.

/safeboot:dsrepair
├в This Starts a domain controller in Directory Services Restore Mode.

Regards,

Brian
Blair Tuthill

Thank You very much
Blair Tuthill

if i force it to boot in directory services restore mode by editing the boot.ini and I am unable to log in due to a forgotten password how can I return to normal boot mode? Someone else installed active directory on this server and I believe they left the directory services restore mode password blank but not positive. I was going to give it a try.

Thanks
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Blair,

Simply make a bootable diskette which has its own boot loader and bypasses the hard disk boot section. In this way you can modify the BOOT.INI file on the floppy and leave the original alone if you're worried about making any changes to the live system.

Here's what to do:-
(This Works for NT4, 2000 and 2003).

Go to your working 2003 system and insert a blank floppy disk.

Before you begin, you need to be able to see the system files on the top level of the C: drive so you will have to go into windows explorer and select TOOLS-FOLDER OPTIONS Select the VIEW tab and select
"Show hidden files and folders" and also take the tick off "Hide Protected Operating System Files".
This is only temporary and you can put these settings back again as soon as you have completed the task.

1) Format the diskette with FAT from "My Computer"
2) Copy BOOT.INI, NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM from the top level of C: to the floppy disk.
3)Edit the BOOT.INI file on the floppy disk and add the boot switch to it.
MAKE SURE YOU ARE EDITING THE ONE ON THE FLOPPY DISK.

Example:-
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Standard" /fastdetect /safeboot:dsrepair

Take this floppy and reboot the system with it. Try your DS Restore procedure.
If it doesn't work, remove the floppy disk and boot the system normally.

I hope this helps.

Brian
Blair Tuthill

Thanks I'll give it a try