ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751955 Members
4683 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problem after replacing a failed HDD in an ML330 G3 server.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sergio Ricci_1
Advisor

Problem after replacing a failed HDD in an ML330 G3 server.

HARDWARE:
ML330 G3 server
641 Smart Array Controller
3x 36Gb SCSI HDD's (non hot-plug) configured in RAID5 configuration.
-----------------------
Hi

I replaced one of the above drives this evening after HP SIM reported that it should be replaced due to errors. The new drive was configured as SCSI ID2 (same as failing HDD).

The server now sees the new HDD as one with SCSI ID4 and is complaining that the failing HDD with SCSI ID2 is missing. I have set the SCSI ID jumper = ID2, as per the diagram on the new HDD so I'm not sure why the server is seeing the new HDD with an ID=4.

The main issue I have now is that the logical drive is now running in Interim mode and I don't know how to:
1) add the new drive to the existing logical drive (so that we achieve RAID5 fault tolerance again), and
2) get rid of the old HDD (which is showing up in HP ACU and HP Systems Management Homepage) so that the serve doesn't complain of a missing drive.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Sergio
5 REPLIES 5
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

basically when SCSI IDs messed up the only thing you can do is backup your data and recreated array
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Sergio Ricci_1
Advisor

Thanks.

If I change the SCSI ID to match that of the original failed HDD, things should return to normal right?

I'll check again tomorrow but I'm sure that I set the jumper correctly to set the ID=2 and not ID=4 (I don't think the diagram on the HDD even showed it was possible....ID=0 to ID=3 were the only options from memory).

Thanks again.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor
Solution

well if your HDDs set the ID using jumpers you must check that so issue can be fixed
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Sergio Ricci_1
Advisor

Thanks.

The HDD's are non-hot swap so need the SCSI ID set via the jumpers but I'll have to play a little as I have set the jumper according to the diagram on the HDD itself to be ID=2 but server identifies the new HDD as one with ID=4.

Thanks for the clarification.
Sergio Ricci_1
Advisor

Well it turns out that the PIN diagram on the HDD itself was wrong and indeed, moving the jumper to the second PIN's in configures the HDD with an ID=2 (whereas according to the diagram it should be ID=1).

Anyway, server now see's the new HDD correctly and array has been rebuilt.

I guess there's a moral to this story somewhere.

Thanks
Sergio