1753769 Members
5461 Online
54796 Solutions
New Discussion

Problem building raid array

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Problem building raid array

I have a proliant 1500 server from a friend, so i wanted to reinstall linux, and i saw the program "compaq erase utility" so i made the floppy and booted with the floppy, but when i erased everything, i erased the raid 5 config to ( 5x 4.3gb u2w disks), so i wanted to rebuild a raid config, BUT when i booted with the System configuration utility and i choose Drive array configuration, because with that tool i thought, i can make a raid 5 array, but when i choose that option , he asked for a drive array configuration disk, but i don't have such a disk, does anyone know where i can find that disk, or how i can make a raid array from the 5 disks again??
tnkx!
1 REPLY 1
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Problem building raid array

I'm in the same boat. As far as I can tell, the Array Config Utility is only available on the Smart Start CD and in a Windows version (in spite of what the System Config Utility would lead you to believe). Since I ran the System Erase Utility, my system will no longer recognize anything on the embedded SCSI adapter, like the CD-ROM drive. Are you having the same problem? If that is still working, and you have a SmartStart CD, boot to that and run it from there. If you don't have the CD but the embedded SCSI is still working, you might try this: install a hard drive on the embedded SCSI adapter (on the same cable as the CD-ROM), and then install Windows on that (I think 95 would be good enough). Then install the Windows version of the Array Config Utility and use it to configure the controller. Its a pain in the ass, but it works.

I'm curious whether you can still access your CD-ROM drive. The System Erase Utility is a demon from hell - it has screwed up my server big time.