3271 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problem installing P800 on DL380 G5 with P400 on SuSE 10

Erdal Mutlu
Occasional Advisor

Problem installing P800 on DL380 G5 with P400 on SuSE 10

Hi,

yesterday I have tried to install P800 smart array controller card on HP DL380 G5 server. The system recognized the card, but after grub started booting Linux, I got a message indicationg that my disk partitions are not found. This is my production system and haven't got much time for testing and research, so I removed the P800 card and booted the system successfuly. Is there something that I should take care of during the installation of a second RAID controller such as P800 on DL380 G5 servers?

Best regards.
Erdal Mutlu
7 REPLIES 7
Manuel Boosch
Frequent Advisor

Did u checked the SAS cables and did u selected the p800 as boot controller by pressing F8 after the p800 detection on screen?

regards
Erdal Mutlu
Occasional Advisor

I chose the P400 as first boot controller, which is where my disks are located. The P800 is going to be connected to a HP StorageWorks Modular Smart Array 50. At the moment P800 is not connected to anything. I see the SuSE boot loader, after which it starts to boot. After that I got that error. I think the the OS reorders controllers somehow.
TTr
Honored Contributor

Take a look at the following url and see if it applies to you. If the boot controller order is ok and the P400 is still the boot device look at tips #3 and #4 in the URL.
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-boot-rootfs/
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

The way the 2.6 Linux kernel enumerates the PCI bus whenever you add a new NIC or storage controller the device numbering might change i.e. whatever you think should be eth0 will become eth1 or whatever you think should be /dev/cciss/c0d0 will be /dev/cciss/c1d0

on your boot line in grub append the following and see if your system will boot once you add in the additional controller

pci=bfsort

The enumeration issue is documented in many articles on the web. It's not ProLiant specific. Most articles just refer to the NIC enumeration problem but the problem really exists for any PCI device. I helped writed a customer advisory some time back that explains in more detail. The advisory talks about RHEL 4 and 5, I can't say I've seen the problem with SLES, but the problem is more kernel related than anything.

SUPPORT COMMUNICATION - CUSTOMER ADVISORY
Document ID: c01430330

Version: 1

Advisory: PCI Devices May Be Enumerated in a Different Order with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 or Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 and May Require Configuring Option PCI Devices When Added After the Installation

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01430330&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Erdal Mutlu
Occasional Advisor

OK thank you. I am going to try it.
Erdal Mutlu
Occasional Advisor

I have instelled the P800 Smart Array controller sucessfuly. Thank you very much.
Erdal Mutlu
Occasional Advisor

I connected the MSA50 to the P800 and booted the system and it worked.