5881 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problem installing SBS2003 on Proliant 150 G3

ritchiehicks

Problem installing SBS2003 on Proliant 150 G3

Hi,

Hi

I have a ML150 G3. I have set up raid correctly and now trying to install windows 2003.

I have downloaded the drivers on to a pen drive. When I run the SBS2003 install, I press F6 and the setup program sees the drivers for the harddisk controllers. However, it then gives me the option to install the OS onto the PEN DRIVE, NOT the harddisk. In fact, the harddisk does not show in the menu at all.

How to I make the setup program show the harddisk to partition instead of the pen drive??

This has been a real nightmare - I have no floppy drive and the setup program prefers this. I have spent the whole day on this and am really stuck!!!
10 REPLIES 10
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

use nlite you wont need floppy

see attached file

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

The way to provide extra drivers to Windows 2003 is trough a floppy drive. That's the only thing Microsoft programmed on the OS installation routine, complain to them.
You need a HP supported floppy drive to perform the installation.
There are other possibilities like making a CD with the drivers integrated using nlite. There are lots of messages about this on these forums, some from today.
ritchiehicks

I can't blame MS for HP not providing an installed floppy drive!

I have tried Nlite - the server just hangs at the point that it would normally enter the setup software.
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

The server will not have a floppy drive if you have not PURCHASED it. The server also does not have a backup drive or fiber channel cards. There items are optional and must be ordered if needed.
sanesh vig
Valued Contributor

nLite should work, however You try the following steps

1.Install OS with Embedded SATA RAID Disabled(No Drivers or F6 required) on one Harddrive.

2. Once OS is installed, Extract the Embedded SATA RAID Drivers to a folder.

3. Goto Control Panel-> Add New Hardware->Device is connected->New Hardware->Raid Controller->Have Disk->Browse to the folder where the Embedded SATA RAID Drivers were extracted. Select the .inf file->Install Adaptec Raid Driver.

4. Restart the Server goto BIOS enable the Embedded SATA RAID.

5. Press F8 and goto Sata Raid BIOS->Configure the Drives->Create Array->Raid 0/1 A warning message will appear ""Warning: Configuring the drives will erase all Array information from the selected drives, if that drive is part of an array. Arrays using any of these drives as members will be affected! Do you want to continue?(Yes/No):"". Press ""Y"" to continue.

6. If Raid 1 is selected it will ask you what is the Source Disk, select the Right Disk in which OS was installed previously. Warning message might appear again. Select ""Y"".

7. Rebuild will take sometime, once rebuild is complete restart the server.

Once rebooted Raid would be detected and windows would boot up, in windows it would detect new hardware and Adaptec Raid drivers will be installed. Now Server is built migrated to Raid Successfully.

Also ML150 G3 comes with

HP Embedded SATA RAID Controller or
HP 8 Internal Port SAS Host Bus Adapter with RAID

However on some models it can be LSI SAS controller as well.

So kindly check which controller is installed in your server, so that i can send the correct driver link for storage controller
ritchiehicks

Thank you.

I think the problem could be somewhere else.

I have diable SATA RAID and the OS setup still tells me it cannot find the harddisks.

I also got Nlite to work - it intigrated the SATA drivers and ran the setup program, but also told me that it could detect no harddisk.

I have run the HP diagnostic program - it can detect the harddisk.

Also, I see no harddisk in the BIOS setup.

Could I have a fault??
sanesh vig
Valued Contributor

Which storage controller is installed in the servr ?
sanesh vig
Valued Contributor

Do u have any updates on this please ?
ritchiehicks

Not yet, I have not returned to the server.