cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem replacing an 404708-001 hot plug Hard disk

George Bellos
Occasional Visitor

Problem replacing an 404708-001 hot plug Hard disk

In Proliant ML 350 G3 machine we have 2 Hot plug 146 GB hard in Raid 1. One of them failure and we buy a new one using the above spare part no. We receive the new hard drive but it does not work(I connect the hard drive to another machine and recognized and worked fine ). We notice that the old and failure hard drive and the new one except they have the same spare part Number they have differences. First they have different RPM the old has 10K RPM and the new one has 15K RPM. We try another hard drive with the same spare part (we receive it and it is with 15K RPM) but does not work also. Have anyone heard problems like this. I mean Same Spare parts but different drives. What do you suggest?
2 REPLIES
vytautas gerdavaitis
Occasional Advisor

Re: Problem replacing an 404708-001 hot plug Hard disk

hi,

for some time HP supplies only 15K hdd scsi. if you order spare with 10k, you receave identical spare but hdd will be 15k. there should be a notice in the box.

you can plug hdd with higher RPM and capasitity into raid, but not vice versa.

when you plug the new hdd into this server, what does array configuration utility shows ? if it recognize, perhaps you have to manualy start the rebuilding process ???
George Bellos
Occasional Visitor

Re: Problem replacing an 404708-001 hot plug Hard disk

Unfortunately was not identical. We discover that we could not rebuild Raid because it was also smaller Hard Disk (about 20 MB ). So what you suggest?. IF we order spares(HP recomments) which finally are different from the defective part give a reason to trust HP. I will order a Bigger disk from another vendor (bigger capacity ,RPM etc) ad I will make the rebuild but of course this is unacceptable.