ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752301 Members
4656 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problem wiht Proliant DL380 G3

Rod Aburto

Problem wiht Proliant DL380 G3

Looking for the problem on a Proliant DL380 G3. The system health LED (front side) show red. The power converter LED shows amber. The green power supply LED at the back of the unit near the power cord is not lit. The AC Power Connected LED on the PCI Riser Cage shows green - meaning AC power is connected.

The power supply and the power converter have been replaced with no change in the system health. All other LEDs including those on the fans are not lit. Is there a another module that could be causing this or is there a system reset that needs to be engaged to make it rescan the power status?
5 REPLIES 5
NMory
Respected Contributor

Re: Problem wiht Proliant DL380 G3

No System Health LED means that something is wrong internally to the server, could be many things, and you need to refer to the system board LEDs. Check the Service and Maintenance Guide for the System Board LEDs, and try to identify something:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00065010/c00065010.pdf

Could be a PPM, Memory, Riser Interlock, Overtemperature, Processor Failure.

But since the Power Converter Module is showing an Amber LED I would guess that something is shorting out the Power Converter Module, and that could be system board since you already replaced the power supply and the Power Conv Module.

Try to identify any other lights inside the server with the manual.

But I would go for the system board. If possible I would change system board, Power supply and Power Conv Mod again, just in case.

LN
Rod Aburto

Thanks LN, I will read over the PDF and try the System Board option. Will keep you informed.
burdosqs

Rod Aburto:
My recomendation would be to boot the server with the SmarStart CD, run an offline Insight Diagnostics, this tool is great, since it is an internal health run it, do a full scan with 3 loops, it will give you a full report and it will tell you what is wrong with the server.

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/24733.html
Rod Aburto

After much trouble, we came to a solution when second CPU was taken off the system and it booted correctly. We needed to change this:
347406-001 Intel Xeon processor - 3.20GHz (Prestonia, 533MHz front side bus, 512KB ATC cache, 604-pin) with heat sink
289564-001 Processor power converter module - 12V, 0.81A

Thanks to all who replied to the post.
Rod Aburto

347406-001 Intel Xeon processor - 3.20GHz (Prestonia, 533MHz front side bus, 512KB ATC cache, 604-pin) with heat sink
289564-001 Processor power converter module - 12V, 0.81A