1752608 Members
4342 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problem with Smart array P822 VmWare PCI passthrough on Dl380p Gen8

net4
Visitor

Problem with Smart array P822 VmWare PCI passthrough on Dl380p Gen8

Hello I'm trying to use PCI passthrough in vmware on an HP Smart array P822 Raid card, but when the VM "starts" the server screws up the fans to max and gives IML error code "Drive Array Controller Failure (Slot 2)" as error code on the 822 card.

I have tested two different servers (DL380p Gen8) and different BIOS settings. Two P822 cards and one P812, none of the cards work with a Gen8 machine... If I move the P822 card to a Dl380 G7, PCI passthrough will work properly.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

I use:

Dl380p Gen8 2xE52650L v2 190Gb ram
Smart Array P822/P812 Raid controller.
Vmware 6.0U3

6 REPLIES 6
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

Please follow the below DL380p Quick Space for more clarification or verifying supported SA controllers.

HP ProLiant DL380p Generation8 (Gen8) (Page no 47)

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04123238.pdf

Smart Array P822 Controller
NOTE: If a P822 controller is selected for the 12LFF or 25SFF model, it cannot be
populated in slot 3.
HP Smart Array P822/2GB FBWC 6Gb 2-ports-Int/4-ports Ext SAS Controller
NOTE: The P822 controller has only two internal ports like the P420 controller and
cannot be used to attach both 8SFF drive cages through a single controller. Please
see the QuickSpecs link below for Technical Specifications and additional
information.

HP Smart Array P822 Controller

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=c04111513

HP Smart Array P812 Controller

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04111607.pdf

Follow the HPE Serer Options Compatibility tools for verifying or check the supported server with the SA controller. 

https://hpeserversoptionscompatibilitytool.itcs.hpe.com/

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02019041

Please let me know for further queries.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

net4
Visitor

Hello! Thanks for the reply

As I take it, the Smartarray p822 card should be supported by both Dl380p gen8 and Vmware.
Anyway, the card is in slot2

I use the p822 card for 4 external D2600 disk shelves. so it is not connected to the internal disk cage.
The Vmware (6.0U3) operating system is installed on two SSDs in Raid1 on the MB integrated P420 controller

I want to create a PCI passthrough on the Smartarray P822 controller to provide direct access to the controller in a Virtual machine operating system. But immediately I start the VM, before any system is installed on the Virtual machine, the server hangs and pulls the fans to full and gives an IML error code.

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

I would suggest you contact to HPE technical team for faster resolution because we require the latest AHS report for further investigation.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

net4
Visitor

Hello

The server is out of warranty and used by me privately at home, which is why I ask here instead of opening a support case.

Do you know anyone I can contact on email and ask about this?

I suspect it is cheaper to replace the server to another brand instead to buy support agreements on it.

//Niklas

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@net4 wrote:

Hello I'm trying to use PCI passthrough in vmware on an HP Smart array P822 Raid card, but when the VM "starts" the server screws up the fans to max and gives IML error code "Drive Array Controller Failure (Slot 2)" as error code on the 822 card.

I have tested two different servers (DL380p Gen8) and different BIOS settings. Two P822 cards and one P812, none of the cards work with a Gen8 machine... If I move the P822 card to a Dl380 G7, PCI passthrough will work properly.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

I use:

Dl380p Gen8 2xE52650L v2 190Gb ram
Smart Array P822/P812 Raid controller.
Vmware 6.0U3

While I haven't done much with PCI passthrough, I am curious as to why you would want to pass the whole disk subsystem to a single virtual machine.  In this case wouldn't it be easier to just skip virtualization and install the OS on bare iron? 

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
net4
Visitor

There are several benefits to virtualization, the hardware is better used, I can use the hardware for multiple tasks on different operating systems. then it becomes easier to backup the systems.

In this case, storage is just a task for which the server is used. It runs a dozen other systems.

Right now the storage is running on an older dl380G6, so the hope is to be able to move the storage to the G8 machine and save some power.

The smart array system is very competent, easy to use and runs very stable, so I would like to keep it forward, and then it is nice if the card works in newer machines than the G6.

Exactly the same setup works well on G6, why doesn't it work on Gen8 ??

I suspect, (But am not sure) that it is all because the server monitors the card somehow, when the guest system takes over the card something happens that causes the server to hang.

Can I turn off "Sea of тАЛтАЛsensors" for a PCI card?

If I test with another PCI card (which is not an HP card), passthrough works fine on the gen8 machine. so somting in the gen8 course this problem.