1748285 Members
3820 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problem with video driver for ATI RageIIC chipset

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Problem with video driver for ATI RageIIC chipset

I'm having a problem installing and using the video driver for the embedded ATI RageIIC video controller on a Proliant 6500 (P11) PII Xeon 450 server.

The installation itself (from the SSD 2.20A) appears to proceed OK, but upon the first reboot, the display control panel acts "oddly" -- that is, it shows no options for colour depth, and offers only extremely odd options for resolution, like 4 million x 2 pixels, and the like. Subsequent reboots inform me that the installed video driver isn't working properly, and asks me to pick an alternative. Regardless, the video stays stuck in the 640x480 x 16-colour standard VGA settings.

This particular system has a bit of a history to it (having been upgraded from an E11 Pentium-Pro system awhile back), but I'm not fully aware of its history. I'm relatively confident that I could exorcise whatever demons are possessing it by reinstalling it from scratch, but it's pretty inconvenient at this point for me to do so.

Other potentially-useful system information:
System BIOS rev 06/18/2000 (P11)
ATI video BIOS 3.095
Onboard video disable off (i.e. onboard video enabled)

I'm basically stumped. I'm leaning towards a dependency/conflict during the original installation, between the original driver selection, the service pack, and the SSD, but it's probably too detailed for me to find on my own.

Any ideas on where to look / what to try?

Thanks,

Tom
3 REPLIES 3
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Problem with video driver for ATI RageIIC chipset

Have you tried deliberately setting it back to "VGA Compatible", restarting and reinstalling the ATI driver kit? Make sure you close the display control panel BEFORE restarting the system after you have installed the driver...
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Ron,
Unfortunately, this is one of the first things that I tried. I was very careful to deliberately close the control panel and have it ask me to reboot, then reboot, before reinstalling the ATI driver from the SSD.
Tom
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have come across a similar problem on a server that had PC Anywhere installed. The pixels etc were appearing as 1 * 2 1 * 3 etc. Once app uninstalled the video driver loaded successfully. I did not notice reference to Service Pack version but at least SP3 required. Try loading again from 2.20A SSD again.

Stu