108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Problems adding a second processor card

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Problems adding a second processor card

I have two 4500's (P166) each with 256MB of memory. As one of the boxes
has an external array unit, and as I'm using win2k, I decided to try
to combine components from both machines to make a higher end box.

I combined the memory and took the processor card from the "parts" unit
and installed it in slot 2 of the 4500. Both processors are 166Mhz and I've confirmed that the stepping levels are identical.

After I inserted the second processor I ran the SCU, and verified that the second process was found, and it is. However, when I boot the machine, the only message displayed regarding the processor is:

Processor 2 initializing...

Nothing about processor 1, which is strange as other compaqs I have with multiple processors always indicate that both processor's are initializing.

When I go into Win2k and use computer management to look at the system, only a single processor is displayed.

Am I doing something wrong?

I've read the article by Ron G of Compaq (10/27/00) regarding setting up multiprocessor support after win2k is installed, but have not been able to find the APIC Mode settings in the System configuration, even after pressing CTRL-A for the Advanced Mode.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
1 REPLY 1
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Re: Problems adding a second processor card

Hello,
Please update your system BIOS. Did you set up your computer type correctly in W2K?? For further assistance please contact our tech support by calling 1-800-OK-COMPAQ.
REgards,