New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problems getting System Management Homepage to display system info

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kenneth Holter
Occasional Advisor

Problems getting System Management Homepage to display system info

Hi all,

I'm trying to get HP System Management Homepage (SHM) to display info about my HP ProLiant DL360 G6 server. As of now, I can log into the web page (https://localhost:2381), but instead of the expected information I'm only "No items".

I'm suspecting that it has something to do with my SNMP setup. Is it so that the SHM issues SNMP commands to the local system in order to fetch system status?

I ran the /sbin/hpsnmpconfig script, and this is the resulting /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf file:

-- code start --
[root@server snmp]# cat /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf
# Following entries were added by HP Insight Management Agents at
# Fri Mar 25 13:28:23 CET 2011
dlmod cmaX /usr/lib64/libcmaX64.so
rwcommunity public 127.0.0.1
rocommunity public 127.0.0.1
trapcommunity public
trapsink 1.2.3.4 public
# ---------------------- END --------------------
-- code end --

I'm not very experienced with SNMP so I've probably answered something wrong in the script prompt, but I can't figure out what.

Both the snmpd and the hp-snmp-agents are running on the system. Using snmpwalk I can see that SNMP is returning a lot of information, so it looks like at lease something is correct:

-- code end --
[root@server snmp]# snmpwalk -v2c -c public -m ALL 127.0.0.1 |wc -l
[root@server snmp]# snmpwalk -v2c -c public -m ALL 127.0.0.1 |tail -20
DISMAN-EVENT-MIB::mteEventNotification."_snmpd".'_mteTriggerFired' = OID: DISMAN-EVENT-MIB::mteTriggerFired
DISMAN-EVENT-MIB::mteEventNotification."_snmpd".'_mteTriggerRising' = OID: DISMAN-EVENT-MIB::mteTriggerRising
DISMAN-EVENT-MIB::mteEventNotificationObjectsOwner."_snmpd".'_linkDown' = STRING: _snmpd
DISMAN-EVENT-MIB::mteEventNotificationObjectsOwner."_snmpd".'_linkUp' = STRING: _snmpd
DISMAN-EVENT-MIB::mteEventNotificationObjectsOwner."_snmpd".'_mteTriggerFailure' = STRING: _snmpd
DISMAN-EVENT-MIB::mteEventNotificationObjectsOwner."_snmpd".'_mteTriggerFalling' = STRING: _snmpd
DISMAN-EVENT-MIB::mteEventNotificationObjectsOwner."_snmpd".'_mteTriggerFired' = STRING: _snmpd
DISMAN-EVENT-MIB::mteEventNotificationObjectsOwner."_snmpd".'_mteTriggerRising' = STRING: _snmpd
DISMAN-EVENT-MIB::mteEventNotificationObjects."_snmpd".'_linkDown' = STRING: _linkUpDown
DISMAN-EVENT-MIB::mteEventNotificationObjects."_snmpd".'_linkUp' = STRING: _linkUpDown
DISMAN-EVENT-MIB::mteEventNotificationObjects."_snmpd".'_mteTriggerFailure' = STRING: _triggerFail
DISMAN-EVENT-MIB::mteEventNotificationObjects."_snmpd".'_mteTriggerFalling' = STRING: _triggerFire
DISMAN-EVENT-MIB::mteEventNotificationObjects."_snmpd".'_mteTriggerFired' = STRING: _triggerFire
DISMAN-EVENT-MIB::mteEventNotificationObjects."_snmpd".'_mteTriggerRising' = STRING: _triggerFire
NOTIFICATION-LOG-MIB::nlmConfigGlobalEntryLimit.0 = Gauge32: 1000
NOTIFICATION-LOG-MIB::nlmConfigGlobalAgeOut.0 = Gauge32: 1440 minutes
NOTIFICATION-LOG-MIB::nlmStatsGlobalNotificationsLogged.0 = Counter32: 1 notifications
NOTIFICATION-LOG-MIB::nlmStatsGlobalNotificationsBumped.0 = Counter32: 0 notifications
NOTIFICATION-LOG-MIB::nlmLogTime."default".1 = Timeticks: (32) 0:00:00.32
NOTIFICATION-LOG-MIB::nlmLogDateAndTime."default".1 = STRING: 2011-3-25,13:39:11.0,+1:0
-- code end --

Can anyone spot any errors in my current setup, or could point me to some information on how to debug this myself? I've found a lot of documentation on HP web site, but haven't found any info that have helped me debug this thing.

Best regards
Kenneth Holter
10 REPLIES 10
Joseph L. Casale
Regular Advisor
Solution

The config script added all that it needs, it could have added more like syscontact but you have what you need.

Do you have your data source set to snmp?
SMR
Valued Contributor

First make sure the package hp-smh-templates is installed.

Your snmpd.conf looks fine provided you have a 64bit kernel.

David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Your snmpd.conf looks okay, although you should know that best practice is not to use 'public' as a community string. Also, if you have any management station, whether HP SIM or something else, expecting to access information via SNMP over the network, you'll need to add an rocommunity line with that IP address (an rwcommunity line is not necessary since HP SIM does not do any SNMP sets over the network).
PaulY_4
Occasional Contributor

Apologies if this is a dumb answer but I had the same issue last week. I changed the SMH settings from WBEM to SNMP which solved my issue.
Kenneth Holter
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for all the replies.

I installed that templates package, and it seems to have made at lease one small difference - under the "Settings" tab i the SMH GUI, I now have one box "SNMP Webagent" and another box "System Management Homepage". Before installing the package I only had the latter.

I see that under "Data Source" in the top right corner of the SMH, there are no entries. How to I go about specifying which data source should be active? As far as I can see there are no places under "Settings" that allow me to do this.

- Kenneth
SMR
Valued Contributor

After installing the templates package, restart the following services: snmpd, hp-snmp-agents, hpsmhd
Kenneth Holter
Occasional Advisor

I restarted the services as suggested, but the issue remains unsolved.

If the SMH uses SNMP to fetch information about the system, may it be that it's the SNMP setup itself that's causing the problems? Maybe it's not returning all the information needed by SMH? Is there anything I can grep for when running that snmpwalk command I posted in the first post, to check that all the needed information is provided by SNMP?

Btw, I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but a couple of the SNMP sub-agents failes to start:
-- output start --
[root@server snmp]# service hp-snmp-agents restart|grep FAILED
Shutting down Rack Infrastructure Info Srv (cpqriisd): [FAILED]
Shutting down Rack agent (cmarackd): [FAILED]
[root@server snmp]#
-- output end --

Kenneth Holter
Occasional Advisor

I found that the documentation says that "The Data Source setting is only available if the HP Insight Management WBEM providers are installed.", but according to http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/System-Administration/WBEM-provider-for-proliant-Linux-server/m-p/4400864#M36091 "HP does not provide the WBEM provider for Proliant server". And of course, I'm running a Proliant server. :/

So it seems like this is not going to work. Are there any workarounds I can make use of?

Kenneth Holter
Occasional Advisor

I got it up and running now. I simply
1) uninstalled the RPM's
2) removed the /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf file
3) downloaded and installed the newest versions of the RPMs (i.e. hp-health, hp-snmp-agents, hpsmh and hp-smh-templates)
4) Ran the /sbin/hpsnmpsetup script

I did the exact same approach with the old RPMs, but didn't get things up and running before I used the newest RPMs.

Thanks for the help anyway!