2936 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problems ghosting a ProLiant DL320 G1 disk

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andy_Phillips

Problems ghosting a ProLiant DL320 G1 disk

I'm using a Norton Ghost 7.5 network boot disk to connect to a Ghostcast session on another machine.

When i boot the DL320 from the network boot disk the NIC is detected and Ghost 7.5 loads ok. I then connect to the Ghostcast session and attempt to begin ghosting the HDD when the error 'There is no valid source drive to choose' appears.

If i go to Local - Check - Disk the same error appears.

Any ideas/suggestions why Ghost can't see the hard disk?
4 REPLIES 4
Marc Carney
Valued Contributor

Do you mean you are having problems with the disk on the machine you're trying to image ?

What disk configuration have you got ? I believe you have either SCSI or ATA models with those servers.

Have you been through Smartstart ?

Can you see the disk using any other bootdisk or in the setup utility ?
The sheep tell me what I need to know
Andy_Phillips_UK

The setup utility/BIOS can see the disk. I believe it's a 10Gb ATA100 IDE drive.

The DL320 can boot ok from the IDE drive into NT Server 4. However when i boot off the Ghost network boot disk, Ghost 7.5 reports 'there is no valid source drive to choose' which i assume means it can't see the IDE drive.

We've tried a few switches in the ghost.ini file but so far no luck!
Andy_Phillips

The setup utility/BIOS can see the disk. I believe it's a 10Gb ATA100 IDE drive.

The DL320 can boot ok from the IDE drive into NT Server 4. However when i boot off the Ghost network boot disk, Ghost 7.5 reports 'there is no valid source drive to choose' which i assume means it can't see the IDE drive.

We've tried a few switches in the ghost.ini file but so far no luck!
Portland Tech
Solution

I just ran into this exact scenario. It happens because be default Ghost uses Direct IDE access. On your ghost boot disk, or if launching from a network location, just launch ghost.exe -fni

The -fni switch will disable IDE direct acess on ghost and it will "see" your drives.