Luessi
Occasional Advisor

Problems installing Redhat/CentOS 5.1 on DL180 G6 / P212

Hi there

DL180 G6
Smart Array P212
4 x 750GB SATA

Dear community - I need you help !

Triyng to install CentOS 5.1, but it always stops by formatting filesystem. Here is what I allready tried (I'm at the end now ! :))

-tried different mediums (centos,redhat)
-same behavior with different RAIDs (tried 1 and RAID 5)
-yes, I also used the smart array linux driver disk
-tried graphical and linux text mode

It fails always at "formatting filesystem". The only difference I've seen, is that it stops around 11% with 2 disks in RAID1. With RAID 5 it fails around 98%.

Thsx for your help !
15 REPLIES 15
Gary Benavides Meza
Trusted Contributor

Re: Problems installing Redhat/CentOS 5.1 on DL180 G6 / P212

Before installing trying to install the Operating System, boot into the BIOS and erase the boot disk, in order to erase any corrupted data or information from a previous installation, erase the Array and create it again.
Luessi
Occasional Advisor

- allready did that several times through P212 Bios and even trhough the "easy-set-up"-cd from HP and the "erase-system-tool and ACU........
Willem Bargeman
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Hi,

We have he the same problems with installing CentOS on a DL 180 G6.

Config:
DL 180 G6
SmartArray P212
2 x 250 GB SATA
4 x 1 TB SATA

Have you found a solution for this installation problem?
Luessi
Occasional Advisor

Hi there, unfortunately not! But at the moment we can't install any OS, even not Win... did you find any solution?
Willem Bargeman
Occasional Advisor

Hi there,

I have found the problem!

The problem is the Western Digital drive. We have received 2 hdd types. 1 Seagate and 1 WD. I created a RAID 0 volume with only the Seagate drive and the OS install fine. When I create a RAID 0 or RAID 0 + 1 with the WD drive the OS install was freezing when it try to format the drive.

I think it is an issue between the Smart Array 212 and the WD drive. I have installed the latest firmware of the Smart Array and of the WD drive but it doesn't fix this problem.

I have opened a case at HP support and I hope that the HDD will be replaced with a Seagate or a soon firmware update for the 212 or / and the WD drive
Luessi
Occasional Advisor

Hi, many thanks for your input.

I confirm we have 4 x WD SATA deliverered. So I can't test at the moment with another drive. If this is the problem, then it also doen't work with the smart array P410, cause we tested that as well.

in about 15min the HP Technician will be at our place, so we can give him your input and will let you know about the solution...

Best regards.
Tom
Luessi
Occasional Advisor

Hi Willem

you're right!

HP sent me 2 x 750GB SAS disk for testing. I just now installed Centos without any problem. Because they have only one spare-part-number for the 750GB SATA drives, they can't controll, if the next delivery will be Seagate or WesternDigital. So they decided to send me SAS drives! Cool, but I will tell them now, that they have to exchange 12 SATA 750 GB to SAS !! hehe, cause I ordered 12 for the 12-drive-cage model... But this will be the only solution, cause also if they would be able to send me Seagate disks, I wouldn't accept, cause you will run into trouble any time you will have to change a disk.

Many thanks to you + please answer to my post, so I can give you some more points!

BR
Tom
Willem Bargeman
Occasional Advisor

Hi Tom,

Good to hear that replacing of the disks will work!

To day, we have received 1 new Seagate drive and the installation is successful! HP have to fix the WD problem.

Willem
Luessi
Occasional Advisor

..I'm fighting with them to get finally all 12 disks replaced.... Thank you, BR, Tom