New Discussion юеВ

Problems rebooting - fresh install

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kristian Hollund
Occasional Advisor

Problems rebooting - fresh install

Hi,

I've recently performed a reinstall of a ProLiant ML530 G1 Server. I started fresh with a fairly new Smartstart CD, installed with RAID 5 array, Windows 2000 Server. After I booted up I installed network card drivers, then service packs, updates, compaq rompack or what it's called, the big file with all updates, I also installed snmp and terminal services client. The problem I have is that every other reboot, it may be whenever I don't choose start, shutdown, restart, but I'm not sure if it's only then. It will just stop at the blue background after the saving profiles and shutting down windows have disappeared, and the mouse locks up and all services seem to be down, at least the event log.

I wondered if anyone has an idea, we've had shutdown problems with other servers too, and I would think having all updates would solve it, but no. I had one problem when installing stuff though, at the first Windows bootup HP normally installs some programs and stuff, but when I booted up I got an ISDN driver install screen and I just clicked cancel or ok or whatever, and it crashed, so I had to cycle power, I didn't see the HP stuff after that, so I wonder if that could have anything to do with it, and if it's possible to get that procedure to run again, or if it's even useful...
I'm like King Midas in reverse, everything I touch turns to shit
2 REPLIES 2
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: Problems rebooting - fresh install

I think what your talking about is the Proliant Support Pack. You can rerun it by just putting in the Smartstart CD, it should autorun and you can install it from there. Another option is to get the latest version here http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/16259.html

I've never ran into that problem, but it might be a good idea to install the latest version of the Support Pack just to make sure all the Compaq drivers are up to date.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Re: Problems rebooting - fresh install

When you say all updates have been installed, which ones are they? Are you going to the windows update website and updating everything from there? Have you been able to see at which point this starts? Does it happen after installing the Support Pack? Or the Windows updates?

I would recommend looking for the file "cdralw2k.sys" in the system32/drivers directory. If this is installed then the adaptec cd burning add-in for WMP should be removed.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..