ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753393 Members
7101 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problems seeing logical drive during O/S install

Simon Brazier

Problems seeing logical drive during O/S install

I'm setting up a Proliant ML370 G3, with a Smart Array 532 controller and three 18.2Gb 1" drives in RAID 5 configuration.

Booting from SmartStart and running through the process successfully, all three drives are discovered, can be formed into a one logical RAID 5 drive, and the configuration successfully saved. I change the bootable device to be the controller card and reboot with the W2K server disc in.

O/S install goes fine, I specify the 532 controller as an additional controller and install the drivers from the controller disk, and then just after starting the O/S install it halts and says it cannot find a disk to install an O/S on. I haven't actually made a partition on the disk at this point, just created a logical drive.

Any ideas ?
4 REPLIES 4
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Simon,
Please make sure that you'r running the assisted method of installation with Smart Start CD. From the symptoms you have mentioned it seems like you'r attempting to do the manual installation. Please feel free to contact our Tech Support by calling 1-800-652-6672 in case you need assistance.

Regards,
Gert Luyten
Respected Contributor

This symptom might happen if you've installed an incorrect driver for the SA-5x series (f.i. NT4 instead of W2K driver).
I also would go for the Smartstart Assisted installation if you're still using SS 5.50 or below. There is no point in doing a manual installation unless you want to install a non SS-supported OS.

Regards,

Gert Luyten - Authorized Compaq Instructor.
A Proliant a day keeps the competition away!
Scot Mavric

How do you start an assisted OS installation with a smartstart 5.50 cd?
Gert Luyten
Respected Contributor

Make sure that you did a System Erase before starting an Assisted installation. You can do this while booting from the Smartstart 5.x CD and select the icon 'System Erase'. Note: all data and server settings will be destroyed.
Reboot the server and start the Smartstart installation, select 'Assisted Installation'.

Alternatively, you can boot from a Smartstart 6.x CD and run the server setup from there, but it will end up in the same OS installation.
A Proliant a day keeps the competition away!