1753943 Members
9288 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problems with DL380 G3 and DL360 G3 network

Eneko Astorkiza San Nic
Occasional Contributor

Problems with DL380 G3 and DL360 G3 network

Firstly excuse my english, i'm not so good on it.

We have recently adquire 2 DL360 G3 and 1 DL380 G3 servers.

The first DL360 works fine, but the other servers had the same problem.

The network goes bad, but only when conecting to some servers. When copying some folders, que network trafic takes 20/50 %, but when i connect to other servers the network trafics takes only 1/3%

i have done some probes changin the NIC and using Intel Pro 1000 NICs, but the same happens.

I know that there are not the other servers.

The other day the server mantainers change the DL360 mother board, and now it works fine.

Now i'm waiting to change the DL380 mother board.

Is this a fabrication problem ? what is happening ? someone has the same problems ?
8 REPLIES 8
Chris Rice_1
Advisor

That seems a little odd. I run DL360 G-3 and 380 G-3 servers as well as ML 370 G-3 and haven't had this problem. How do you have the NIC cards setup? The 360 has two on-board NICs, do you have them teamed? Do you have them set as fault tolerant, fail on fault? What about the speed, we run all of ours at 100-full duplex.

One more thing, have you notices this network problem when going to the same servers or at a particular time of the day? I'm not saying the mother board didn't fix the issue, all I'm saying is there seems to be a lot more pieces to look at when it comes to network/communication issues.

Best of luck !!
Chris
Eneko Astorkiza San Nic
Occasional Contributor

i only have 1 NIC connected and the same happens with the onboard NICS or using a PCI one. I think that is no a NIC problem, i think that it is another hardware problem.

I have tried to install different OS, windows 2003, windows 200 server, ... and the same happens.

But like i said, i have another server wich works fine.

For example, the 2 DL360 where installed at same time, with the same options. One of them works fine, but the other has the problem. We have change the mother board an now it works fine.

The DL380 is waiting to a new mother board.
Chris Rice_1
Advisor

Well, it looks as though it may very well be a mother board issue. I don't know what could have caused this, especially with two different models of servers. With the servers that are working fine, how many NICs do you run and how are they configured. We always run a vitual network team for prod. We also then have a seperate NIC for backups which run on a differnt node of the network for backup traffic only. We run all as fault tolerant, set to fail on fault at 100-full duplex. These settings seem to work very well for us in our environment. We also load and use the HP tools to handle all network setup.

Good luck,

Chris
Eneko Astorkiza San Nic
Occasional Contributor

In the working Server i'm using an Intel Pro 1000 Server adapter, forced to 100 Mb full-duplex. The onboard NICs are disabled.

This is the same configuration i'm running in the bad ones.

So i can discard a NIC and configuration problems.
Neal Bowman
Respected Contributor

HP has acknowledged problems with certain systemboards in the DL360G3/DL380G3 family. You will need to contact HP to replace the system board in your other server to correct this issue. The problem is in the Broadcom module that is embedded onto the system board.
Eneko Astorkiza San Nic
Occasional Contributor

and this broadcom module afects to other NICs ?
Neal Bowman
Respected Contributor

The ethernet module on the 360G3/360G3 use Broadcom as the base circuit. The network drivers are the NC77XX that are part of the CSP.
Eneko Astorkiza San Nic
Occasional Contributor

i know, but like i said, if i connect a PCI NIC like INTEL pro 1000 server adapter to the server the same happens. Is nopt only with the onboard cards.