108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problems with HP StorageWorks 1/8 Tape Autoloader connected to DL380G4

SOLVED
Go to solution
Serjj
Occasional Advisor

Problems with HP StorageWorks 1/8 Tape Autoloader connected to DL380G4

We have ProLiant DL380G4 and StorageWorks Ultrium 960 1/8 Tape Autoloader. SCSI at embedded simplex mode. Autoloader connected to external SCSI port. Smart Array 6i controller correctly determines the device. Platform is Windows 2003 server enterprise edition SP1.

When Windows starts up, Autoloader exist in device manager and backup can operate(slowly but operate). Driver details: date 02.03.2007; version 1.0.5.1.
But when we run Library and Tape Tools utulity device become unoperable and service "Removable Storage" turns off. We have to restart server to work with Autoloader. Data Protector don't work too. In Data Protector device permanently in offline status.
Why?
Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Problems with HP StorageWorks 1/8 Tape Autoloader connected to DL380G4

>>Array 6i controller correctly determines the device

Did you connect Autoloader to SmartArray 6i ?

Autoloader is not supported by any of the Smart Array controllers, you need separate SCSI controller (check Ultra320 SCSI HBA in DL380 G4 QuickSpecs)
chris barnett_2
Frequent Advisor

This is an unsupported configuration.
You need to attach the 1/8 autoloader to a seperate SCSI HBA. The part number you need is
374654-B21 which is a 64-Bit/133-MHz Single Channel Ultra320 SCSI HBA G2. Attaching the 1/8 to the Smart Array 6i also explains the very poor performance you are getting, I guess with NT backup. Tape devices especially high speed ones like the Ultrium 960 require a seperate SCSI HBA. For usage with Data Protector the removable storage service must be stopped and disabled. The removable storage service does a SCSI lock on the device. Data Protector used tape devices directly and therefore cannot open the autolaoder. Library and tape tools may also be expecting the removable storage service to be stopped and wont be expecting the tape drive to be attached to a Smart Array controller. If you have a generic Adaptec type controller available you could try that as a test
Serjj
Occasional Advisor

Thanks. I;ll try to find SCSI HBA