ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)

Problems with Proliant DL560 Gen 8

Renwod

Re: Problems with Proliant DL560 Gen 8

Hi,

I've just run into the same problem with a DL380 G8 - did you find a resolution?

thanks,
anthony11
Regular Advisor

Probably too late for you, but there's an SPLD update to 0x32 code on the DL380pG8 that addresses some spurious power supply failure scenarios.

bgrigsby
Occasional Visitor

Has anyone had any luck with HP Support in coming up with a fix for this issue?  We have had several 360p Gen8 systems that have experienced this error/behavior. Fortunately, our impact thus far has only been that the system shuts itself off, and we are able to power it back up with no damage to other components. I need to find a way to stop these outages.

Can anyone provide a link for this SPLD update?  Only reference to SPLD updates I can find is for G6 systems...

Thanks

jmhanna
Visitor

Add me to the list, same problem here with one of two DL560 G8's purchased spring 2013.  One has been fine, the other has been resetting itself with the message:

"System Power Fault Detected. System Has Enabled Power Protection and Disabled Power Supplies"

Started in June of 2013, and we had the system board replaced then, as well as clearing the IML log and updating the BIOS.  Seemed fine up until December 27, when it happened again, and now again today.  Just opened a case (again), we'll see how that goes.

jmhanna
Visitor

Ok, after 2 days of waiting, HP's answer (like it always is) was to update the BIOS firmware(s) with the latest SPP and clear the NV RAM (AGAIN).  Kind of frustrating, because that exactly what they had me do back in June of 2013 when this server was only a couple weeks old.  When those steps failed to resolve the issue they swapped the motherboard.  That fixed it for about 6 months.  Now the SAME problem is back, here we go again.

Does anyone at HP think this could be a POWER SUPPLY problem?  Is there potentially another fix??  Is there some way to turn off the dynamic power management stuff?  The time delay between us here in the U.S. and wherever in the world the support people are makes troubleshooting very frustrating as well.  

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

>> HP's answer (like it always is) was to update the BIOS firmware(s) with the latest SPP

In general it could be better to check the web for more current (and maybe fixed) firmware then the current SPP contains (this helped me with an ILO issue some weeks ago).

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
anthony11
Regular Advisor

ISTR that SPP (or whatever it's called now) has an ability to freshen components from HP's FTP server.

PZel
Trusted Contributor

For the DL380pGEN8 there was a Advisory c04042380 (just search it with google).

Installation:  Extract the cp file and install the .vme file via ILO/Administration/Firmware/<Browse> .Then, you ve got to reboot, and look into ILO/Information/Diagnostics whether CPLD0-PAL0 is 0x32.

It don't mention anything about the DL580pGEN8 or DL360pGEN8,  however.

PZ
Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

An excessive drop in voltage detected by either the Power Microcontroller or CPLD can trigger this Event.

**Update**

After clearing CMOS data with "switch 6" and updating the requested firmwares (BIOS, Storage controller, Power management, ILO) the server still reboots itself with the error:

EVENT (23 Jan 20:13): System Power Fault Detected. System Has Enabled Power Protection and Disabled Power Supplies (XR: 14 00 MID: FF 0D F0 0C C0 FF FF 0A 0A 0C 0C 00 9C 00 04 01 03 15 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00)

Now HP wants me to clear CMOS again (switch 6) and then remove the systemboard battery, short those pins together, and reinstall the battery.  I'll play along, but I'm thinking it still could be a power supply issue.