5738 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Problems with SMart Start 4.90

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Problems with SMart Start 4.90

Hello,

I just want to warn anyone about using the smart start her. 4.90 DC on a proliant 7000.

recently I was updating my servers, and when I got to our 7000, I updated the server BOOS, and the 3100ES BOOS. after I logged in I went to do install SP6a and do the SD update (smart start 4.90 uses SD 4.19). after the update and rebut I could not log into TN, and the server would do a AR reboot.

after this went on and on, I then decided to rebuild the server using the smart start 4.90 CD. after completing the system erase, sytem partition, and hard ware discovery the smart start took an error 45. I tried to rebuild again, same thing. I changed CD's and same thing. I called tech support, and could not get any resolution on this error.

I looked in my software files and found smart start ver. 4.40. I rebuilt with this successfully.

I called tech support the following Monday, and after an hour of research, I was told that there was a bad batch of smart start 4.90 CD's sent out.

so the moral of this long story is, save your old smart start CD's. the 2nd moral is to save the CD's you built the server with.

Thanks

Mikey C.
1 REPLY 1
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Problems with SMart Start 4.90

Good suggestion,. Keeping different copies and versions of SmartStart can a be a life saver. But the problem can lay somewhere else.
Did did you try another SmartStart 4.90, just to see if the CD you have is having the problem or it is smartstart 4.90 all together. You probaly might have a bad CD. If you try another one and get the same error message.
This error happen when an unknown return code to the smartstart application during the interview.