Did you mean: 

Procedures in Doing Raid 5 in HP Proliant DL380 G5

SOLVED
Go to solution
Noel Herrera
Occasional Visitor

Procedures in Doing Raid 5 in HP Proliant DL380 G5

Hi,

I would just like to ask what are the procedures in doing Raid 5 in HP Proliant DL380 G5. As i read from other forums, i need 3 HDs to have Raid 5.

Currently, our server do only have (1)72GB HD which contains Windows Server 2003 R2 Premium Edition and some files and SQL databases. I recently purchased two (2) 146GB, my plan is to have Raid 5 on these three (3) HDs.

My questions are:

1. Is it possible to have Raid 5 even you have different disk sizes among the 3HDs. Like in my case, (1) 72GB and (2) 146GB? What disk size is alloted for Raid 5 in this type of HD combination?

2. Would i need to backup all data on the 72GB HD, and have it re-formated to be included in the RAID 5? Is there a way that i dont have to reformat it and be included in RAID 5?

3. If I dont want to reformat and reinstall Windows Server 2003 on the 72GB, can i do Raid 0 or 1 to this disk? and have a separate Raid 0 or 1 to the (2) 146HDs.

Hope you can help me. Thanks.

Noel
1 REPLY
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Procedures in Doing Raid 5 in HP Proliant DL380 G5

Hello Noel,

1. If you do this you will be able to utilize max 72GB on all disks. So with 1x72 and 2x146 you would get out ~146GB usable space.

2. You wouldn't have to reformat it if you can change the RAID group from what it is now to a raid5. See the array configuration (ACU) user guide, it looks like it's called "migrate a logical drive" when changing RAID level. Before you do that you need to add the disks to the array, this is called 'expand array'.

3. Sure, with the two extra disks you can create another array and then a new logical volume on it. Maybe you could then move the OS to the 146GB raid1? A little safer? To move it like that though you would have to do some magic with backup/restore.