Processor in incorrect slot

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sean Waite
Frequent Advisor

Processor in incorrect slot

I rebooted my 1850R, and when it powers up I get "Processor in incorrect slot
-System Halted!"

I have 2x 500mhz CPUs. I thought it was a CPU failure so I replaced the 2 CPUs with one known good CPU+VRM. Same message appears every boot.

I read somewhere I need to reset the configuration and maybe that will fix it. How do I do this? I see on the mainboard there is dipswitch 2 for Configuration Lock, and 6 for Maintenance. Do I flip one of these and power the unit on?
5 REPLIES 5
Sean Waite
Frequent Advisor

Re: Processor in incorrect slot

Wanted to add, after leaving the server off for a bit I booted it up and instead got the error that the CPU fan was not operational, even though it was. At least this time it reads through the memory etc.

When the system boots with the "Processor in incorrect slot -System Halted!" error it never even gets that far.

I have now take memory, VRMs, and CPU out and tested all fine under a different server. Should I consider the mobo dead? I would assume if the motherboard is DOA I would experience other problems. I know from working with DL380s that these servers can be very picky.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor
Solution

The only thing I can recommend before replacing the system board out would be to swap the processors around. This can be the case if processor with the lowest stepping is in the wrong slot.

If this doesn't make a difference, then I would say this is likely a system board problem.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
John Wilson_21

I'm getting the same error with 2x450Mhz processors.

The problem started with a single 450MHz processor. I removed that processor and replaced it with 2 450Mhz from a box that has been running for 5 years with no problems, and I'm still getting that error. I've tried clearing the NVRAM using the maintenance switch, but the proc error happens before the memory check, so it never gets a chance to boot to that screen. I tried swapping power supplies, memory, removing the daughterboard and smart array controller, nothing seems to help.

I just bought a replacement mobo and installed it, and I'm still getting the error. I tried swapping procs to see if that made any difference, but no-go. These procs were from a working box, so I know they are good...

Any other ideas?
Sean Waite
Frequent Advisor

After looking at this issue some more this past weekend I came to the conclusion it was just a bad motherboard. I took out the memory, CPUs + VRMS and have them running fine for 3 days in a 1600R. But from what John is saying this could be another problem altogether.

John, if I may ask, where did you get the replacement board? If it was from Ebay, then it was most likely one of those sellers that strip down servers and sell the parts. Problem is almost none ever bother to test the equipment. If you can not test that board out any other way I would look in to asking for an exchange or return.

Which leads to another problem now I have. I would prefer to run this 1850R than a 1600R, but now I am cautious about replaceing the motherboard just to find I will have the same problem John is having.

One bit of advice someone did mention, make sure the CPUs are the exact model number. Intel will make different "flavors" of the same CPU/Speed/Cache etc. I have found that out in the past 2 600mhz for example will not necessarily be compatible if they are not the same part. So what Terry is saying is really a great start to find a solution. Unfortunetely for me my CPUs are the same.
John Wilson_21

Yeah the replacement board was an EBay mobo, but it's strange that the problems are identical. I just can't see paying $200 for a new motherboard for a server that I can probably buy for less than that :/

These processors came from another 1850 that had been converted to a rack mount, and it has been running for years with no problems. I really want to get this one working because it's 3U rather than 5U, but I'm about ready to give up and stick with the big one :/