5493 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Processor upgrade for ML110 Gen9

mdb_cl
Occasional Visitor

Processor upgrade for ML110 Gen9

Hello.

I need to scale a couple of ML110 Gen9 servers (part number 840668-001) running Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V to take on more virtual machines.

They were purchased with E5-2603v4 1.7GHz.

According to CPU Benchmark site this CPU delivers:

Average CPU Mark: 5451
Single Thread Rating: 945

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E5-2603+v4+%40+1.70GHz&id=2834

Would like to move up to more cores and more performance per core. I'm thinking E5-2630Lv4 1.8GHz would be an adequate choice, as it also doesn't use more power (55 W) than E5-2603v4 (85 W)

CPU Benchmark shows for E5-2630Lv4

Average CPU Mark: 12847
Single Thread Rating: 1596

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E5-2630L+v4+%40+1.80GHz&id=2914

Quick specs upgradeability section for ML110 Gen9 doesn't mention CPU upgrade. Is it supported? How should I handle it in order not to void warranty?

I understand the existing RAM would work with the new processor.

Any recommendations or caveats you can share?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Robertomcat
Regular Advisor

@mdb_cl wrote:
Would like to move up to more cores and more performance per core. I'm thinking E5-2630Lv4 1.8GHz would be an adequate choice, as it also doesn't use more power (55 W) than E5-2603v4 (85 W)

Hello good afternoon. I currently have the same server with the same processor, and the truth is that to be 6 cores, it has a regular / low power. I was also interested in changing the processor, but I see that they have a high cost.

The most appropriate for this server is the processor you are saying, that is the jewel of the crown.

Where do you plan to buy the processor? Greetings

MM_Z
Advisor

While there is no mentions of possibility of CPU upgrade AFAIK your options are as follow:

a) Buy original service spare part CPU from HPE / Reseller (826104-L21 is FIO part -> spare is 835608-001) and replace it either yourself or HPE technician. This way your HPE warranty should be OK

b) Get any E5-2630L v4 and put it into server yourself. Keep original CPU in case if something is wrong with the server ...

Regarding CPU, if you can get E5-2630L v4 cheap, it is nice, another alternative is E5-2620 v4 (more mainstream)

See how they compare: LINK

mdb_cl
Occasional Visitor

Hi, MM_Z.

Thanks for your advice on retaining warranty and mainstream model.

I don't think I would need to resintall Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V after the CPU being replaced, would I?

Robertomcat, 

I'm planning to request quotation from local vendor to make it easier should any issues arise.

Thanks

MM_Z
Advisor

Sorry not an expert on upgraded CPU related possible Hyper-V issues, but AFAIK it is possible that you will have to reinstall Hyper-V role / Hyper-V (some people's experience).

Robertomcat
Regular Advisor

@mdb_cl 

Hello, how are you?

Well it turns out that the time has come for me to change the processor to the server that you and I have the same. I have chosen the same processor that you wanted to incorporate.

In the end you had to do with Windows Server 2012 R2, did you have to reinstall the operating system or Hyper-V? I have Windows Server 2016 installed.

I await your response, as it will be of great help to me.

Thank you.