ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748287 Members
3201 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Programmatically Change the device boot order

Sean Langford

Programmatically Change the device boot order

I am developing an 'applicance' application which will run on HP ML370 / DL370s. I have a software requirement to programmatically change the boot order of the devices from CD-ROM to the first bootable disk partition. Is this possible?
11 REPLIES 11
Ivajlo Yanakiev
Respected Contributor

I think that it is possible.
My be you need tools from PSP for that.
anas_k
Occasional Advisor

hi Sean,

yes sure it's possible. on startup u have t o press F9 "ROM Base Order", then in the Standerd Boot Order u can make the CD-ROM the first bootable disk.

Ivajlo Yanakiev
Respected Contributor

probably ? is how to switch boot oreder using
software /program/
Sean Langford

Yes, Ivajlo Yanakiev is right. I want to do this programmitically, i.e. with software. Our users don't understand what boot order means; we want to change it for them.

Ivanjlo, what are these PSP resources you speak of?

Thanks

Sean
Ivajlo Yanakiev
Respected Contributor

ProLiant Support Pack
This is free software that extaned hardware/software ability of Proliant server.
Drivers
Srcipting tools
Web Agents
and so on....

There is program that access ILO and BIOS.
I can not remember name of taht program :(
Look at scripting tools on HP Site
moo
Occasional Advisor

well there are boot managers that you can use. Grub; Smartboot manager; google for ubcd (ultimate boot cd) they have some boot managers on that cd. How you would install them all depends on the operating systems involved and the boot loader itself.

Ivajlo Yanakiev
Respected Contributor

moo
he needs tools that will chenge BIOS boot order
tbone72
Frequent Advisor

In order to set the boot order programmatically you need to use a tool called CONREP from the SmartStart Scripting Toolkit. You can read more about it at the following link: http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/toolkit/
Ed Cox
Respected Contributor

Sean,
Conrep will do it...but Conrep runs under a DOS environment usually as part of a DOS based script (unless there is some new Win PE version of Conrep I don't know about). Are you looking for some way to change the device boot order while the server is up and running under an OS or do you think Conrep might work for you? It sounds like this might be a one time change to the boot order and not something that will have to be done on a regular basis.
If we're not talking about a lot of 370s then your best bet is to do it through the F9 Rom Based setup utility. It's "fast and easy!". Otherwise...I'm not aware of any program that hp has that will touch the BIOS to reconfigure the boot order while the server is up and running under an OS.
Sorry...

Ed Cox