1753767 Members
5810 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Prolaint 6400R no Keyboard found

FRED JEWELL JR
Occasional Advisor

Prolaint 6400R no Keyboard found

I am using a T connection (196762-001 rev B) with the RIB board, but without a keyboard connected to the T keyboard connection it comes up with
(no keyboard detected). I have tried another T connection, but same problem. Is there a setting or a S/W I├в m missing on the server to get it to see the keyboard thru the RIB connectio
5 REPLIES 5
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Fred,

Just make sure that the RIB or RILOE card is plugged into PCI slots 5 or 6 on the 6400R server in accordance with the matrix below.

http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/remote-lightsout/server-slot-matrix.html

You should not need to make any switchpack changes. The system board keyboard and mouse connections should feed up to the RIB/RILOE module and be passed through it as in the attached diagram.

Its possible of course that the RIB/RILOE may have a problem with it. I assume everything works OK with the RIB/RILOE removed and using the system board default connections?

If you do get it working, here are some configuration tips.

http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/remote-lightsout/tipstricks.html

I hope this helps,

Brian

Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Oh by the way, I assume that when you say "without the keyboard connected to the T keyboard connection", you actually mean "with the keyboard connected".

Also, it might seem daft but I assume you are connecting the keyboard to the keyboard side of the T piece with the small keyboard image on it? Dafter things have bene done in the past.

Regards,

Brian
FRED JEWELL JR
Occasional Advisor

The mouse and keyboard are connected with the RIB cable and only when I connect a keyboard to the T connection it boots withour the error of no keyboard present.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Fred,

I'm confused... Do you want the system to boot without a keyboard connected?

The system checks for keyboard presence during it's POST (Power-On-Self-Test)and generates an error if it can't find a keyboard. 99% of PC's do this.

To quote your last reply...

"The mouse and keyboard are connected with the RIB cable and only when I connect a keyboard to the T connection it boots withour the error of no keyboard present."

In the attached diagram you will see that a keyboard and mouse must be present and attached to the T-piece to get it to work.
( A mouse isn't essential in some cases -Netware for example)
Simply attaching the RIB cable to the system board mouse and keyboard connectors does nothing until you physically attach the keyboard and mouse to the T-piece.

Am I getting the wrong end of the stick here? How would you expect it to work if not like this?

Regards,

Brian
FRED JEWELL JR
Occasional Advisor

The keyboard and mouse are connected with the RIB broad cable but without the keyboard connected to the RIB broad T keyboard connection it gives an error of no keyboard present.