ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748279 Members
4045 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Prolaint DL380 G3 support the Smart Array 5i with a optional Battery-Backed Write Cache (BBWC) confi

Brian Lord

Prolaint DL380 G3 support the Smart Array 5i with a optional Battery-Backed Write Cache (BBWC) confi

We have 6 Proliant DL 380 G3 server and we are always replacing the BBWC's. Is there a problem with them?
6 REPLIES 6
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Re: Prolaint DL380 G3 support the Smart Array 5i with a optional Battery-Backed Write Cache (BBWC) confi

Normally there should be no problem with any BBWC; it's only kit of battery, and DL380 G3 5i BBWC they should last in average 5 years. There were some false reports with BBWC at 6th generation controllers, where problem should be solved by firmware Updates. With 5i there was at one time small bag and fix
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/revision/5364.html
Verify 5i firmware, BBWC it has good reputation and there should be no problems with it at all. What type of error you have? You sure it's not Cache Accelerator? Or any Kind bus faults / connectivity issue?
Brian Lord

Thank you for the fast response. How do I tell if it is the cache accelerater? When we do get the error we chnage out the BBWC and the problem clears up. We are on Firmware version 7.10B. This is set by Corp. and I can not change it. I attached a snap shot of the error we get.

Thanks for the help!
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

I assuming you can take issue to administration, right now and show them
Fix in 2.36 (as your Firmware 2.34)

Version 2.36 (14 Jan 03)
.........Corrects the issue with the Smart Array 5i Plus present in versions 2.20 and 2.34 where Battery Backed Write Cache operations were not properly supported..........
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/revision/5364.html

I would go with latest one: Firmware CD 7.40. I understand that Your company has some restriction, but hardware replacement doesn't make sense, for firmware updates it never risky as for Software, so take it to administration and let them rollup with 7.40
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/23331.html
Brian Lord

Thanks for all the help!
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Why are you always replacing the BBWCs? What kind of errors are you getting?

Low battery conditions are normal when power is removed from the servers for maintenance or whatever other reasons.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Brian Lord

Here is a snapshot of the error we are getting. Replacing the BBWC fixes the error