SOLVED
Go to solution
ShaneGardner

Prolaint DL380 G6 w Smart Array P410i

I have a Prolaint DL380 G6 w a Smart Array P410i.  I'm receiving this error:

Consolidated Error Report:
   Controller: Smart Array P410i in Embedded Slot
       Device: Physical Drive 2I:1:5
      Message: Physical Drive State: Predictive failure. This physical drive is predicted to fail soon.

I just took over this network. I'm not familiar with HPs or the detail configuration of my servers yet. With the above error can I just plug a new drive into slot 8 which is open and then pull the drive in slot 5 out. Or should I hot swap the drives in slot 5?

Also I read somewhere that I might need to 'clear' the previous drive before inserting a the new one? If true, how is this accomplished. Sorry for  many question, these HPs are pretty new to me.

Thanks,

Shane

14 REPLIES 14
wanhao
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Re: Prolaint DL380 G6 w Smart Array P410i

HI,

First,be sure you have configured the disk raid to raid1,raid5 or raid1+0,and have a backup of your data.

Then,I suggest you hot swap the failure disk with a new one in slot 5 directly,not in slot 8.Make sure the new disk has the same part number. 

And it will rebuild the raid automatically.

You can check the rebuilding status with HP ADU.

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Before you replace the degraded drive. Do check that the other drives is OK.

use the SMH (System Management Homepage)

https://localhost:2381

The other drives must be error free, and you can read all statistics from the SMH (Its very clear to read), just check all physical drives in the affected Array.

So if all other drives is ok, and RAID is as mentioned aboave, the hot replace the drive.

BR

/jag

Accept or Kudo

ShaneGardner

Can I swap a HP drive with a Seagate drive? Looks like they are both 300GB and 10K RPM
300.0 Gbytes 10K RPM - SEAGATE ST300MM0026

300.0 Gbytes 10K RPM - HP EG0300FAWHV

Also, it looks like all the other drivers are healthy.

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

I will recommend you to use HP branded drives. They do have a HP FW, Also they come in the carrier.

Non HP branded drives is not supported.

BR

/jag

Accept or Kudo

Sbrown
Valued Contributor

pretty much as long as the number of sectors (and size) are equal - sas to sas,sata to sata you can stuff the HP drive in.

I had a mix of hp drives, 15K 146gb, 10k 146gb, and 600gb - not ideal but it worked!

always backup first! and to be double safe, power down and swap the drive, i've had an odd occurence where hot swapping a drive cause another to glitch out and error - I suspect some sort of power draw issue. only happened once but I have become extra careful.

Make sure your firmware on the drives is up to date, the backplane and the controller! There are some critical patches to HP drive firmware that can cause failure if not applied!

ShaneGardner

thanks for the reply.  yesterday I orderd a couple of the HPs drives with the same serial number and having them overnighted so I'm probably going to wait for them before I change out.

I was reading a few other post/topics and they were wondering why people were shutting down to swapped the drive.

So now I'm a little confused.....is it better to swap out the old drive live or with the machine down??

ShaneGardner

Hot swapped my drive last night and the raid rebuilt how it was suppose to(whew). I could only accept one post as the answer but I appreciate all of your guys help and advice. Thanks

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Great :)

You can mix drives in any way it make common sence :)

Size:

The smallest (Capacity) drive, decide the size of a logical drive. Remember that a smart array controller can have multible logical drives within an array.

Sp if you got drives in various sizes.you can mix them, in the same array, and create multible logical drives (using Array configuratio Utility).

E.I. You got 2 300 GB drives and 2 600 GB drives. Put them in the same Array, and you can create a 900 GB RAID 5 (Using all 4 disks), or a 600 GB RAID 1+0 (RAID 10(or 0+1)), this will leave 2 x 300 GB unused space, you can create a logical drive on that empty space, In this example, you can create a 300 GB RAID 1 (1+0 or 0+1 on the Smart Array).

Beware, when you order a spare part number, you might get at larger or faster drive, bur if it fail again, you ight get the original size again.

Speed:

All rotational speeds will work together, but slower speeds will limit overall performance.

Protocols:

Parallel SCSI -  Ultra 2, U3 and U320 all run LVD, each devices will run at its native speed, but never any faster than the controller, since the controller negotiate the speed, and not any faster than the controller can run.

Serial SCSI (SAS) and Serial ATA (SATA).

SAS and SATA can run on the samne SAS controller. SAS support SAS and SATA.

SATA support SATA only.

SAS and SATA can not be in the same array.

You can mix single port and dual port drives.

BR

/jag

Accept or Kudo

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Proliant DL380 G6 w Smart Array P410i

>I could only accept one post as the answer but I appreciate all of your guys help and advice.

You can click on the Kudos stars of each helpful answer.