1752579 Members
4115 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Prolian DL160 G5 Installation Software

mthurner
Occasional Advisor

Prolian DL160 G5 Installation Software

I bought a used HP Proliant DL160 G5 and downloaded the recover installastion ISO but when I try to run it it says the system does not appear to be a HP Proliant Storage Server. Can someone tell me where I can download the original software I.E lights out and OS for the server? So I can begin trying to get my own on there I was interested in using windows server small business 2008 but I need to get the original control software back on there.

I found the downloads section but there are so many and i'm not sure which is what I am needing I need to put the original software that would have been on the server back. I'm new to servers haha Please help

10 REPLIES 10
MiguelC
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Don´t know waht ISO you download, if Smart Start it must run, anyway you can install the 2008 SBS OS from CD´s and implement drivers as I indicate

See the link bellow :

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3580695&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3580694&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4037

At this HP page you can download all you need to install 2008 SBS OS, download and use as it is requested to correct drivers and communicate with disks controller

Hope it helps.

mthurner
Occasional Advisor

I tried the install and it errors trying to format the hard drives it say its GPT, obviously thats a bad thing haha, it's not able to read the drives and format them

As far as the page you linked it's the same page i was on before with an extended list of downloads none being sbs it's self and still leaving me with no idea of which to download

MiguelC
Frequent Advisor

Assuming your 2008 is 64 Bits, first think is press a Function key during installation to implement a new" Driver - Storage Controller ", save it on a disk or similar for reading  from windows, at startup installation you will find the message at bottom screen.
Try using first one or second  depends from your hardware.
"HP ProLiant Smart Array SAS/SATA Controller Driver for Windows Server 2008 x64 Edition",

and this one is for

"HP 4/8 Internal Port SAS HBA with RAID and SCxxGe series HBA Driver for Windows Server 2008 x64 Editions "
About GPT read this link it can help you
http://www.partition-tool.com/resource/GPT-disk-partition-manager/partition-gpt-disk.htm
Hope it helps... 

mthurner
Occasional Advisor

ive tried a few diffrent programs now to access the drives including gparted and it seams nothing is able to access the hard drives when i bought the server it booted into VMware but now it doesn't do that anymore I'm not sure what was on there before thats why im trying to install windows 2008 server on it.

I am intending to install the 64bit server and during the installation nothing comes up for a function key

when i boot it has control s for the sata proccesors 2.33 then it has rom disk boot options of f10 and f12 then it boots to whatever program i have in the extrenal dvd

mthurner
Occasional Advisor

when I run those it wants to install on my desktop should I extract them on a cd and put them in the servers cd player and boot?
MiguelC
Frequent Advisor

I´ve found this, maybe you media for SBS have this problem :

"I appreciate that there 'should' be an <F6> prompt during the windows files load, but on the media I have, there is no prompt for the load driver. after browsing the site, I located one post that suggested that the prompt happens within 2 seconds of the start, but for me, no joy. going to try another installation of an ms server and see if the prompt does appear under a 2003 install and will let you know."

Hope you have solution, driver must be read at installation as this.

mthurner
Occasional Advisor

Does anyone know how I can make these drives non GPT so the installer can read them? even installing the driver from the installation window doesn't make them readable I keep getting the same GPT Patitian message and error code when trying to format the erreorcode is 0x80004005 that means access denied.

theres not currently an accessible OS on the server
MiguelC
Frequent Advisor

Hello,

With other computer you can create a bootable WinPE disk, use it to erase all information at disks and use one option available at this utility "Revert GPT to MBR"
Think you solve this part.
http://www.partition-tool.com/resource/manage-partition/usb-partition-manager.htm
http://www.partition-tool.com/resource/GPT-disk-partition-manager/convert-gpt-disk-to-mbr-disk.htm
There are many freeware utility to do the same, this can be read as example.
Hope you get a solution.

Regards

mthurner
Occasional Advisor

I erased the array and created a new one and that took care of the GPT thing but when I try to load the Instalation software for the Proliant DL160 G5 Storage server the software tell me mine is not a Proliant Storage server, It's a HP Proliant DL160 G5 but not a storage server I can not get any program including windows server to install on the disk or xenserver they all have issues trying to access the hard drives