108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Prolian disk upgrade

SOLVED
Go to solution
Carlito B.

Prolian disk upgrade

Hi,
I've this server with 3 146GB HD (array: 2 mirror, 1 spare), they have 2 partitions which are nearly full now. I've to install 2 300GB and I'd like to know if there's some sort of tutorial or something like that to install the disks in the array and to expand the existing partitions. If I'm not wrong it can be done inside the raid controller setup software, or even with the smartcd that came with the machine.

Many thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Modris Bremze
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Prolian disk upgrade

What's the server model and the OS it's running?
I think it would not be possible to expand the existing mirror/array without breaking the current layout (and losing the data). You would have to make a new array. You can leave the old one intact and jus add another array nex to the old one or break the old one and use all your disks for the new array. It can be done with SmartStart CD's array configuration utility.
As for the partition expansion - it depends on the OS and logical layout (flat partitions, LVM etc.) of your setup.
Carlito B.

The model is ProLiant DL380 G5, and the OS is W2003 R2.
BTW, i can leave the system partition as it is now, the other one where the data is stored it's where i need most the space. They're both NTFS.
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

swap 1 146 disk with 1 300gb disk, wait for the rebuild to finish.
swap the other disk with the 300gb and wait for the rebuild.
then, format the remaining new space using a pogrqam like Partition magic or so
Modris Bremze
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

If you can freely move the data between partitions, the easiest way to go would be just making a new array (RAID 1+0 for example) from the new disks (not touching the existing array) with SmartStart CD's Array Configuration Utility, formatting the new disk in Windows and just moving the data onto the new partition. This would minimize the risk of data loss, which may happen if extending partitions with 3rd party tools.
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

to avoid data loss, you can swap 1 disk with 300GB an let is rebuild. when done, turn off the server and remove the remaining 146Gb disk (this will have a full copy of your current OS and Data in case somethings goes wrong, you can take all drives out and only use this one to go back to the original state) after this turn on the server and add the additional 300GB drive and when rebuild is complete use a software to partition the drive.

thing is, moving data from 1 array to the other is nice but you have to set up a new OS from scratch and re-configure it with the data that was moved. either by deleting the current OS or have a dual boot.