ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753786 Members
7869 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant 1500 Floppy Won't Boot or Read

MasterGrab

Proliant 1500 Floppy Won't Boot or Read

After a failed install of DOS on my Proliant 1500 , it will not read or (more importantly) boot from floppy anymore ... even will not read it anymore on Assisted Install via SmartStart ... Latest firmware used . I've tried resetting everything through System Erase Utility , but it doesn't help ... All cables are connected right and booting correct via CD ... Even when OS (win 2000 or DOS ) is installed will not read from floppy . Any advice is welcome .... Thank you
2 REPLIES 2
Joe Wells

Re: Proliant 1500 Floppy Won't Boot or Read

Have you tried the floppy drive in a different machine? I have had drives go bad on me, especially older floppies. When you insert a disk can you hear the drive activate and spin the motor? If you hear some activity I would either check the cables, do a power off boot to get the drive to be detected again. I have killed drives just blowing them out with compressed air, where it detects the drive on boot once and then again fail it.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant 1500 Floppy Won't Boot or Read

Hi,

It's possible that the floppy disk heads are now dirty. If you don't want to open it up and clean the heads with an isopropyl pad then you could try a head cleaning kit. Here is an example.

http://www.lindy.com/us/productfolder/04/40411/index.php

Regards,

Brian